cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto focus not working - Canon AE-1 Program

Afzski
Apprentice

My AE 1 P will focus but not take picture when lens is switched to AF, in MF it will take picture.  I have 2 lens and works the same with either 

6 REPLIES 6

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Must be spam. AE-1 Program is not an AF camera. 
https://global.canon/en/c-museum/product/film103.html

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

While the AE-1Program was not an AF camera, Canon made 4 self-focusing FD mount lenses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_FD_lens_mount

So would the body be the problem since it acts the same with either lens??  

I used, and still have, an AE-1P.
While that is correct,

Before the FD mount was obsoleted by the EOS system, Canon built four autofocus lenses. Of these, only the FD 35-70mm f/4 AF was capable of autofocus on all FD cameras. The others, known as AC lenses, offered autofocus only on the T80 camera.

The FD 35-70mm f/4 AF contained an entirely independent autofocus system and was among the world's first autofocus zoom lenses (the Pentax ME F was the first[7] ). The autofocus system was activated by a button on the side of the lens, and involved no communication with the camera body. It was reasonably accurate with still subjects, but was too slow to be a practical solution for moving subjects such as sports.”

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Afzski
Apprentice

Funny - i've had this camera for 15 years and it always worked  

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

@Afzski wrote:

My AE 1 P will focus but not take picture when lens is switched to AF, in MF it will take picture.  I have 2 lens and works the same with either 

Which lens are you using? Please be specific with the name.

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.
Announcements