cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Firmware Update to EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM

Wandalynn
Enthusiast

I had seen in another post about a firmware update for the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM (which I discovered  the previous 1.0.6 version on mine). I hope this isn't a dumb question but can I do the update via an RF to EF adapter on my R5 or R6ii? 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would think that if it is a Canon adaptor, you should be good to go. If you did the download of the firmware update file, it has instructions included.

View solution in original post

Greetings,

I agree with Bob.  If the current FW for the lens displays in the R5's menus, you should be able to apply the upgrade.  Please put the "EF008107.lfu" file on the root of a freshly formatted (in camera) SD card.  If you have a CF Express card installed, remove it temporarily prior to performing the upgrade.  You will also want to use a fully charged battery.  

While the behavior that v1.0.7 addresses is rare, I'd install it to be safe.     

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would think that if it is a Canon adaptor, you should be good to go. If you did the download of the firmware update file, it has instructions included.

Greetings,

I agree with Bob.  If the current FW for the lens displays in the R5's menus, you should be able to apply the upgrade.  Please put the "EF008107.lfu" file on the root of a freshly formatted (in camera) SD card.  If you have a CF Express card installed, remove it temporarily prior to performing the upgrade.  You will also want to use a fully charged battery.  

While the behavior that v1.0.7 addresses is rare, I'd install it to be safe.     

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you to both people who replied--am glad to hear that. The fix Canon described for the image sometimes "jumping around" is a situation I have sometimes experienced with that lens so I am interested in the update. I keep my camera firmware up-to-date but forget to periodically check on lens updates. Wanda

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

I'm behind with two of my lenses right now as well. I think the updates add focus breathing correction which I don't even have on my body but I'm sure my next one will 😀

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Anonymous
Not applicable

Version 1.0.7 is supposed to address an IS problem with the lens. Hope it cures your problem. It sounds like your issue is related to image stabilization in the lens.

I hope so--I don't see that happen with my other lenses, and, luckily, only rarely with the EF 100-400. Thanks! 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Let us know if the firmware solves the issue.

I updated the firmware a few days ago and have spent a little time testing out the lens. So far so good. Even though the problem occurred only rarely, I feel as if the update will continue to serve me well. Thanks for your input and help!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good news.

Announcements