cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My winnings came in and bought the Sigma 150-600

JFG
Enthusiast

My winnings came in and I got the Sigma 150-600 Contemporary lens along with the Sigma USB Dock UD-01.  My question to those of you who own this lens is :  Should I just go out and test it right from the box or should I first modify the lens to my style of shooting?  I normally take my new lenses and try them right out of the box, but I like to know what others do.  Your input is greatly appreciated. 

Cheers,
Joe
Ancora Imparo

"A good photograph is knowing where to stand."
― Ansel Adams

"There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept."
–- Ansel Adams

"You don’t take a photograph, you make it."
--- Ansel Adams
22 REPLIES 22

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and congratulations!  Until you are certain about what needs to be customized, I agree that shooting with the default settings seems the most logical - that was certainly my process.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

JFG
Enthusiast

Thanks for the good advice, Trevor, and for confirming what I was thinking of doing !   I was just wondering what others did when they first got their lens.  I usually just take it out of the box and start shooting with my new lenses.  However, this is my first no-canon lens and since I got the usb dock with it, I thought I'd ask.  I will take it out this weekend and see how it does with the default settings..  BTW, I took a que from you, I went to the SF Zoo last Saturday with my Canon RF 70-200 F4 L IS USM ..   Fun stuff !  I posted some of the pics !    lol

Cheers,
Joe
Ancora Imparo

― Ansel Adams

–- Ansel Adams

--- Ansel Adams

Glad you are getting some practice with you gear.  Looking forward to seeing some photos when you are ready. 🙂

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Hi Trevor,                                                                                                                                                       I already posted the new photos, please feel free to critique.  I'm always up to learning new things and appreciate all good advice and comments.

Cheers,
Joe
Ancora Imparo

― Ansel Adams

–- Ansel Adams

--- Ansel Adams

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Out of the box and onto the camera body.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

You didn't say if you bought this lens new or used?

Since you have the dock, at the very least you might as well check the lens's firmware.  If I recall, you want to have at least version 2.0.2 or later as improvements to AF and IS were made.  I believe the current version is 2.0.5.  It won't hurt to have the latest firmware.  The optimization pro software can do the firmware for you in under 5 minutes.  I also agree with advice that others suggested, that you not make any customizations to the lens until you have used it. I didn't have to do anything to mine and have just upgraded the firmware over time.  It's a great lens.  You'll love it!

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi Rick,                                                                                                                                                        thanks for the advice. Since you asked, I bought the Sigma 150-600mm C and USB Dock UD-01 brand spanking new.  Since it is new, I would think that it has the latest firmware, however I will take your advice and check it. I don't like to buy used lenses.  If I did, I would buy refurbished or used lenses only from Canon with Canon warranty.   Thank you for your input.   

Cheers,
Joe
Ancora Imparo

― Ansel Adams

–- Ansel Adams

--- Ansel Adams

Joe,

I am the same.  I purchase my camera gear new or manufacturer refurb.  I did buy one Sigma lens from their outlet a few years ago.  It looked and functioned like new and had the same warranty as a new product.  I've purchased 3-4 refurbs lenses from Canon and all have been great.  I wouldn't hesitate to buy refurb gear from them again.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Since you have the dock, at the very least you might as well check the lens's firmware."

This is what you should do very first. You don't know how long your lens was in stock before sale. Check the FW and leave the default AF settings as is. They will work for most situations for most people. That's why they are the default.  Use the lens for an extended period of time before you think you need to change anything. Remember most AF and OOF problems are user caused and not gear related. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements