cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM How to tell if my lens is refurbished?

zengyimeng816
Apprentice

I purchased an EF-M 55-200 mm silver lens on an online store that is in Canon's authorized retailer list. The lens was listed a new, without any indication on the website that it's refurbished. However, the product I received was in a plain white box with black texts, instead of the glossy Canon box with product image outside. Does it seem to be a refurbished lens, or does Canon ever have brand new product packaged in plain boxes for any reason?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

If you bought it from an authorized dealer, it should come with a warranty from Canon of at least a year.  If that is the case, then the lens should be new, but could have been split from an kit before selling, for example.  If the lens is refurbished, as I understand it, there will be documentation to that effect.
Here is a link to information about refurb gear from Canon.   Likely, you will get a definitive response from the moderators:
Should I Buy a Canon USA Refurbished Camera or Lens? (the-digital-picture.com)

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@zengyimeng816 wrote:

I purchased an EF-M 55-200 mm silver lens on an online store that is in Canon's authorized retailer list. The lens was listed a new, without any indication on the website that it's refurbished. However, the product I received was in a plain white box with black texts, instead of the glossy Canon box with product image outside. Does it seem to be a refurbished lens, or does Canon ever have brand new product packaged in plain boxes for any reason?

Sometimes white box lenses are lenses that were part of a camera kit. The dealers break up the kits and sell components separately. 

Have you contacted the dealer and ask?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

If you bought it from an authorized dealer, it should come with a warranty from Canon of at least a year.  If that is the case, then the lens should be new, but could have been split from an kit before selling, for example.  If the lens is refurbished, as I understand it, there will be documentation to that effect.
Here is a link to information about refurb gear from Canon.   Likely, you will get a definitive response from the moderators:
Should I Buy a Canon USA Refurbished Camera or Lens? (the-digital-picture.com)

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@zengyimeng816 wrote:

Sometimes white box lenses are lenses that were part of a camera kit. The dealers break up the kits and sell components separately. 

Have you contacted the dealer and ask?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I later reached out to the dealer, and they said that's from a kit. Thanks for your response

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Agree with Trevor and John's assessment.  Plain brown box = refurbished.  Plain white = part of a kit. 

I have seen Amazon and eBay sellers offering white box lenses.  I never checked into them.  All of my refurbs were brown box and purchased directly from Canon. 

The registration portal can help you determine if a product is authentic and intended for sale in your region.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Interesting information on refurbished and a kit part. I deal with an archery supplier; white box items are returns that are in new condition and carry the standard manufacturer warranty.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

". I deal with an archery supplier; white box items are returns that are in new condition and carry the standard manufacturer warranty."

In this case it is probably form a kit as other have suggested. Almost certainly not a returned item. I am not 100% sure (99%)  but I think the only place you can buy a refurb done by Canon is from Canon directly. This is not to say some retailer out there doesn't "refurb" lenses and sell them off as the real deal. As always buyer beware and sometimes the cheapest price is not the best deal.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements