cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA G620 Problem feeding Glossy Photo Paper Platinum Pro

scottieb1
Contributor

Hello. My printer is functioning just fine in every situation EXCEPT this one. I bought some top of the line Canon Glossy Photo Paper Pro Platinum (8.5x11). From my understanding it is the best quality paper canon makes for general public.

There is no choice for this specific paper in the print settings (Windows 11) which maybe should have been a clue, but when I pick any paper choice - including any of the glossy ones - the paper will not feed properly. Either it never feeds at all, or it feeds straight through and never prints. I then get a 'paper jam' error, even though there is definitely nothing jammed. I press the 'ok' button and the printer makes a bunch of noise (like when you first turn it on - takes quite a while when you're sitting there waiting to try again) and then tries again with the same results. I think out of 30 tries, I got it to feed and print once, but I just didn't have the patience as it takes a while to be ready again after it thinks there was a jam.

I've tried with a stack of paper as well as just 1 page. I've also tried 'guiding' the paper feed by hand but nothing seems to work.

Other papers, including the equally thick Photo Paper Pro Luster (which is a choice in printer settings), work just fine. I've got 50 sheets of this Platinum paper, so ideally I'd like to find a way to use them! I also have some 4x6 platinum paper which does the same thing.

Thanks,

Scott

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

scottieb1
Contributor

So I used some rubber safe cleaner on the roller and it seems to be working with the platinum glossy paper again for now.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Photo Paper Platinum Pro has a very smooth surface. Your problem is possibly related to the rollers. Try a roller cleaning in the maintenance section of the driver and see if that helps. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

scottieb1
Contributor

Hi thanks for the reply. I tried running the roller cleaning from the driver maintenance and no change. I ran it 3 times to be sure, and also ran the bottom plate cleaning because 1 of the glossy sheets that fed through had some smudges. But nothing changed. I still cannot print on the glossy platinum paper. Is there anything else I can try? I seem to remember the first time I printed on this paper it was fine but that was a few months back. So cleaning seemed like a good solution...

Stephen

@scottieb1 wrote:

... I bought some top of the line Canon Glossy Photo Paper Pro Platinum (8.5x11)....

Hi, Scott!

It looks like you may have found like the one Canon paper that's not compatible with your printer. 😣

These are the papers that Canon has tested and determined are compatible with your printer:
Plain: Plain Paper, Canon High Resolution Paper;
Glossy: Photo Paper Plus Glossy II, Photo Paper Glossy;
Semi-Gloss: Photo Paper Plus Semi-Gloss, Photo Paper Pro Luster;
Matte: Matte Photo Paper, Double-sided Matte Paper; Premium Fine Art Rough;
Other (Canon): Magnetic Photo Paper, Restickable Photo Paper, Iron-On Transfers;
Other (non-Canon): Cardstock, Greeting Card, Envelope, Recycled paper and Chlorine-free paper can be used

I hope this is helpful!

Ah thank you. I guess that would explain why I can't select it in the driver. That's a bummer... so what then is the "next-best" glossy paper quality-wise from the compatible list?

Also, for my understanding... would it be the overall thickness/weight of the paper, or the slick-ness of the surface that would cause my printer to not be able to 'grab' it? I'm going to look in to alternative glossy papers... the Luster paper works fine and is close to but not quite the same thickness/weight, so if I look for similar weighted glossy paper would that work, or is it also/instead the slickness/how glossy it is?

Thanks!!

normadel
Authority
Authority

Have you used Photo Paper Plus Glossy II? it's plenty glossy to me!

I haven't tried Photo Paper Plus Glossy II, but I have tried Photo Paper Plus Glossy (without the II). It's ok.

I wanted to confirm that I found some prints I made a few months back with the Platinum Pro paper -- so this paper DID work fine when I first bought it even if it isn't approved by canon. So what could cause this to happen over time? Obviously dirty rollers - but I did the cleaning. Is there any way to do a more thorough cleaning than the automated process in the driver? Anything else I can try? Those prints I do have look really nice!

It’s possible that the rollers have tended to harden as a result of aging. That could reduce their grip. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

scottieb1
Contributor

So I used some rubber safe cleaner on the roller and it seems to be working with the platinum glossy paper again for now.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements