cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My PIXMA MX870 has stopped scanning.

cauleyp
Apprentice

It prints and copies.  I've downloaded latest software.  Is it a Windows 10 problem?

8 REPLIES 8

Raydeo
Contributor

Installed Windows 10 a week ago and discovered yesterday that the scanner on my Pixma MX870 has also stopped working. I downloaded and installed the latest drivers and still not working. After several emails with Canon Support, it was recommended I phone support and after an hour on the phone still no solution. I was referred to Microsoft with the thought that there was a Port exception. After two hours on the phone with a Microsoft support tech in India, I recovered from a catastrophic disaster as the tech knew very little about what he was doing or even talking about. He suggested a reinstall for Windows 10, then puts me on hold so I can't talk to him and proceeds to download Windows 10 Home when I have Premium. After all is said and done, he selects install and not the option with the apps so guess what, I lost everything. He comes back on the phone after the install starts and says everything will be well when it completes! When I questioned him about Home vs Pro, he says they're both the same! What a gong show that was. Two hours later, after reimagingt the drive from my Acronis software I am back to where I was yesterday - I can print but CANNOT scan. I even tried downloading and installing the MP Navigator software from Canon Canada as I installed an identical machine there with the Pixma MX870 and all worked fine with the updated drivers. The Canadian software did not work so I too am wondering what has happened with the Windows 10 install. Please fix this for us Canon as Microsoft was absolutely useless.

Update.....I was able to get scan to work by doing two things.

1. Uninstalled the most recent version of MP Navigator and installed an older version that I pulled from my laptop that works with Windows 10

2. While MP Navigator would work in wireless mode, it did work when I plugged the printer in via USB.

Later when I tried, it would not work in USB mode but changed the port in Printer Properties to USB and was able to scan again.

No, we shouldn't have to jump through all these hoops for a MFP that's approved for Windows 10 but at this point I'm willing to do it rather than switch back to Windows 7. I guess at this point I'll leave the printer plugged in.

Update....SKIP the above solution. I am now back to no ability to scan at all even though the MX870 is plugged in via USB. Darn this is frustrating!

Hello.

Assistance with our support group will be needed to narrow down the cause of your issues.  Please contact our support group using the "Contact Us" link below for additional assistance with this matter.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi Michael, not sure there's much point in contacting Support as I spent close to an hour on the phone with them and all they did was of no help in getting MP Navigator to work and I have a case number for this. When all was said and done, they had me contact Microsoft which was disastrous and won't be repeated. It is obviously a driver conflict between Windows 10.0.10240.16384 and MP Navigator 3.15_23.2.

Six months later and one updated driver (V1.06 January 2016) and still no luck. Obviously a huge conflict with Windows 10.

@Raydeo wrote:

Hi Michael, not sure there's much point in contacting Support as I spent close to an hour on the phone with them and all they did was of no help in getting MP Navigator to work and I have a case number for this. When all was said and done, they had me contact Microsoft which was disastrous and won't be repeated. It is obviously a driver conflict between Windows 10.0.10240.16384 and MP Navigator 3.15_23.2.

Six months later and one updated driver (V1.06 January 2016) and still no luck. Obviously a huge conflict with Windows 10.

I see I am not the only one with this problem.  I hate bleeping Microsoft.  Nevertheless, Canon needs to write something that WILL work with effing Windows 10.  

Announcements