cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How important is original ink (Canon inkjet)?

yaktiswan
Apprentice

Hey everyone, new to this sub. Basically my question is in the title. My parents bought a new canon inkjet printer and realised now, that original canon ink is over 50€ per pack. However non-original compatibile ones are available for under 20€ on amazon. I expected this question to be discussed in length here, but couldn't find it, so I hope this question is fine here and not considered spam Thanks in advance for any input!

3 REPLIES 3

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

It's always advised to use Canon original items (inks, batteries, etc.).  When you purchase third-party items, there's always a chance they will not work well.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

If longevity is a concern then you need to use OEM inks. Even the staunchest supporters of some third party inks acknowledge this. If you are only doing casual printing there are good third party products. I would recommend using products from a store like Staples. They would weed out some of the random products you would see on Amazon or eBay. Some printers have print heads and separate cartridges. Others have the print heads integrated into the cartridges. Those are the best kind for using third party ink. If there is a problem just discard the whole mechanism. What printer do they have. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings and welcome,

This topic has been covered here previously.  Stick with the advice from my colleagues.  OEM toners and inks if possible.  They are well worth their cost.  What you get, quality, consistency, a guarantee of compatibility and a warranty.  Most 3rd party inks are manufactured to make the most profit for vendors. This equates to lesser quality ingredients, lower manufacturing standards and corners being cut.  I've used 3rd party inks with past printers I've owned.  Over time I realized something.  In many cases you get what you pay for.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements