cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to run Canon Connect on a Amazon Fire Max 11 tablet?

upsidebrown
Apprentice

I use Canon Connect as an alternative to tethering on an iPad. I want to replace the iPad with an Amazon Fire Max tablet, but need to know that I'll be able to connect the camera with the tablet. Has anyone had any experience with this? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

@upsidebrown wrote:

I use Canon Connect as an alternative to tethering on an iPad. I want to replace the iPad with an Amazon Fire Max tablet, but need to know that I'll be able to connect the camera with the tablet. Has anyone had any experience with this? 

I don't have the Fire 11, but FWIW Canon Camera Connect has worked on all of my Kindles going back to the Fire 7. My last one is the Fire 10 HD which I bought in '21, and CC works fine for remote shooting.

The biggest problem was Amazon and Google not playing together (you can't d/l straight from Google Play), so I had to jump through some hoops to get the Canon Camera Connect apk, then setup the Kindle to allow "Apps from unknow sources", which was simple enough after the nag screen popped up. I used ES File Explorer to install the apk, which is available at the Amazon App Store, but that's probably not necessary.

The other option is to install s/w that will basically mask, from Google Play, that you are using a Kindle. This will require installing several Google file managers. This works well if you want to have the Play Store installed on your Kindle 11, but I just wanted CC, so I chose to just d/l the apk from a site and be done with it.

I'm not going to go into the particulars and will encourage you, if you go this route, to do a web search for installing apps from Google Play on a Kindle 11 and judge/research the risk for yourself because we are on the edge of "hacking" your Kindle.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I doubt it. Your device seems to be browsers based.   What Operating System does it use?  Simply go to your App Store for the device and see if the Canon apps are available for download.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

What Operating System does it use?  Simply go to your App Store for the device and see if the Canon apps are available for download.

Waddizzle, it runs what they call a "forked" version of Android which is Fire OS 8 based on Android 11. All of mine were released with the latest version of Android that had Amazon bits added, like their home/lock screen, Amazon App Store, Books, Music, Videos, etc. But under the hood it's Android. I've bought all of the ones I have to use as Android tablets, but I do have one 10" model that I left stock, but it still serves as an Android tablet and fully networks with my Windows 10 laptops. The others I have rooted to remove Amazon and make them pure Android.

For whatever reason, the developers of Canon Camera Connect only put the apps on Apple and Google, so it is not available in Amazons app store.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

@upsidebrown wrote:

I don't have the Fire 11, but FWIW Canon Camera Connect has worked on all of my Kindles going back to the Fire 7. My last one is the Fire 10 HD which I bought in '21, and CC works fine for remote shooting.

The biggest problem was Amazon and Google not playing together (you can't d/l straight from Google Play), so I had to jump through some hoops to get the Canon Camera Connect apk, then setup the Kindle to allow "Apps from unknow sources", which was simple enough after the nag screen popped up. I used ES File Explorer to install the apk, which is available at the Amazon App Store, but that's probably not necessary.

The other option is to install s/w that will basically mask, from Google Play, that you are using a Kindle. This will require installing several Google file managers. This works well if you want to have the Play Store installed on your Kindle 11, but I just wanted CC, so I chose to just d/l the apk from a site and be done with it.

I'm not going to go into the particulars and will encourage you, if you go this route, to do a web search for installing apps from Google Play on a Kindle 11 and judge/research the risk for yourself because we are on the edge of "hacking" your Kindle.

Newton

upsidebrown
Apprentice

Thanks so much for your help! Much appreciated. 

@upsidebrown wrote:

Thanks so much for your help! Much appreciated. 

I'm glad you found the info I posted helpful, but I'm not sure it is a "solve" until we know for sure you can actually use CC on the newer Fire 11" to actually connect with your camera. I haven't tried it on my Fire 10" with any of my newer R series MILC's. I used it with a Rebel T7i, a 7D II and a 5D IV. For the R's, I now use Helicon Remote or the MIOPS app/device on all of my Android phones and tablets when doing remote shooting, depending on my subject.

Newton

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements