cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photo editing software recommendations

WordmanPhoto
Apprentice

I am gathering thoughts on mid range photo editing software for MacBook Pro and my canon R10. Have any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

cory_s
Apprentice

If DPP4 doesn't work for what you need, I recommend DxO Photolab. I purchased version 7 and absolutely love it.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

johnrmoyer
Mentor
Mentor

I suggest either free to download Canon DPP or the photos app that comes with macOS. If you need more, then I suggest gimp free software. To use gimp, first save a 16 bit TIFF from Canon DPP. Canon DPP does well with Canon raw files.

---
https://www.rsok.com/~jrm/

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Highly recommend Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop.  Adobe may still have the photograhy package subscription which is $10 per month for both of those applications.

I use Lightroom for cataloging all my images, adding keywords for easily finding photos, and doing any basic edits.  I then turn to Photoshop for more advanced editing to include frequency separation, dodge & burn and more.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Are you looking to merely do photo editing?  Or are you looking to do actual image editing?  This is the most basic difference difference between Adobe LR and Adobe PS.

You can do basic photo editing with the free Canon app, DPP4, Digita Photo Professional 4.  The app is basically a digital darkroom.  It is used to convert digital negatives, RAW files, into digital prints, JPG files.  This is basically what Adobe Lightroom does.  Photo Editing.

Adobe Photoshop is an advanced image editor.  You can create images from photos, pieces of photos, or elements that you hand draw.  Think movie poster!

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

My preferences.  Either DPP or DxO Photolab. I use both. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

cory_s
Apprentice

If DPP4 doesn't work for what you need, I recommend DxO Photolab. I purchased version 7 and absolutely love it.

Is it easy to use?

I'd say so. Every program has a bit of a learning curve and PhotoLab 7 is no exception. Although, on my windows machine, I have to run it in administrator mode for some reason or it won't export images. As soon as I figured that out, it has been great.

DxO also offers a full 30 day trial period of the Elite version. They also offer an Essential version for a bit less money, I'd be sure to make sure compare both versions thoroughly before you purchase. I went with the Elite version for my needs and wants.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements