cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Total Eclipse solar filter for use with PowerShot SX70 HS camera on April 8, 2024

Nighthawk22
Apprentice

Hello, I want to use my PowerShot SX70 HS zoom camera for the Total Eclipse on April 8, 2024. I will need protection for my eyes AND probably my camera too. I normally wear glasses but my Viewfinder is only comfortable way of taking photos. I also need binocular protection. Advice here: https://eclipse.aas.org/resources/solar-filters
Celestron makes a CLIPSMART UNIVERSAL SOLAR FILTER which can be adjusted to fit range of lens but they say "Never use this filter if your camera has an optical viewfinder. If you are uncertain about the type of viewfinder on your camera, do not use this filter. Always ensure that the filter is placed directly onto the camera lens during imaging, never between the viewfinder and your eye."  I saw some filters available online but they were just for UV and clearly not safe. I don't want to spend a lot of $ (more than $30) because we will be in area with a 60-70% chance of clouds (hoping we get lucky with snowy fields and clear skies). If there is something I can also use for my high end binoculars, would appreciate suggestions -- might be interesting wildlife behavior.  Any suggestions esp. for my camera?   I'm struggling to find anything remotely safe and reliable. Thanks!

Screenshot 2024-02-01 at 10.18.23 PM.png

[Link removed per Community guidelines]

2 REPLIES 2

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I recommend you check out products by Thousand Oaks Optical.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Nighthawk22,

Through Canon support we generally do not recommend pointing a camera directly at the sun. There is a risk that the sensor can get damaged even when using a strong ND filter. We do not make ND filters strong enough to take photos of the sun or an eclipse directly through Canon, so there aren't any filters we could recommend. If you are going to take a photo of the eclipse with your camera it would be best to use a very strong ND filter.

In regards to the viewfinder on your camera it is not an optical viewfinder. The viewfinder on the PowerShot SX70 HS is a digital viewfinder that uses the same display settings as the rear LCD. 

If your binoculars are made by Canon we would recommend calling the binoculars team at 1-800-652-2666 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Eastern time Monday through Friday.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements