cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EW-88D Lens hood on EF16-35mm, f/2.8 L II Lens?

DaBrownCO
Enthusiast

Does it work or should I get the EW-88 hood from Vello? I can't imagine there is that big a difference between the Mark III lens and the Mark II, but maybe there is. I appreciate the help. 

David

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Canon lens hoods are grossly overpriced. There is no secret sauce involved. The Vello EW-88 is available for $10 from B&H. If it doesn't fit it can be returned.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would get the correct lens hood for the lens.

DaBrownCO
Enthusiast

Thanks. I was thinking the same thing. 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

My EF16-35 f2.8 II came with a EW-88.  No letter designation.  This lens was purchased refurb from Canon.  The hood fits and works fine.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Stick with the original Canon hoods.

When it comes to third party accessories, they MUST change something to make it different from the Canon original accessory.  For example, Canon battery grips tend to have the same shape and feel as the camera body itself.  Third party grips tend to have a different shape and the textured rubber usually feels different, too.

I am not certain as to what differences they could incorporate into something as simple as a lens hood.  There has to be a difference somewhere, somehow.  Maybe it does not reverse mount?  I don’t know, I’m guessing.  Maybe only the feel of the plastic is different.  I dunno.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Well the EW-88 is no longer available and Vello is the only one that makes it. I went with the EW-88D just for the reasons you mention.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Canon lens hoods are grossly overpriced. There is no secret sauce involved. The Vello EW-88 is available for $10 from B&H. If it doesn't fit it can be returned.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I learned that. 🙂 I will return the EW-88D and get the Vello. $60!

normadel
Authority
Authority

Hoods get "updated" in different ways. Could be the surface finish on the inside, or slight change in the petal shapes or length. Any EW-88 will likely fit on the lens, regardless of the D. I have a lens that takes an EW-73 or an EW-73. But another lens that only one of them fits easily. Some slight difference in the mounting lugs, I guess.

Announcements