cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a high-quality spatial surround sound mic for my EOS R5 C for VR recording

history12
Apprentice

Hello. I am looking for a high-quality surround sound microphone for my camera to be recorded with the VR mount. I would prefer it to record realistic spatial audio for my VR videos. I found this but maybe there is something better:

1.JPG

Thanks in advance.

[Commercial link removed per Community guidelines and replaced with screenshot to act as a visual aid.]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

In general, an ambisonic mic is actually several (4 or more) microphones in one package.  It will have 4 or more audio outputs.  The R5C has a stereo audio input, so you can't plug an ambisonic mic into it.

However, the H3-VR isn't a mic; it's a standalone audio recorder, including mics.  It doesn't connect to your camera, so yes, it will work with your camera.  It will work with any camera, or with no camera.  It's not specifically designed to be used with a camera, it's purely a sound recorder.  It would be up to you to sync the audio with your video in post.

As for whether it's any good, if I was you, I would look for reviews of it.  A little googling should work for that.  I can't see any reson to look on a Canon user forum (i.e. here) because there's nothing particularly Canon-ey about that device.

Personally, for ambisonic stuff, I have the Rode NT-SF1 mic, but of course I use a 4-channel audio recorder with it -- generally the Tascam DR-701 or the Zoom F6.  And I use it for field recording, so there's no camera involved.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Mic looks cool.  I'm not an audiophile when it comes to camera audio.  I don't want to recommend the Tascam since so many people have reported issues with it.  I also don't know if it supports spatial VR.  

Hopefully another VR shooter will reply.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

In general, an ambisonic mic is actually several (4 or more) microphones in one package.  It will have 4 or more audio outputs.  The R5C has a stereo audio input, so you can't plug an ambisonic mic into it.

However, the H3-VR isn't a mic; it's a standalone audio recorder, including mics.  It doesn't connect to your camera, so yes, it will work with your camera.  It will work with any camera, or with no camera.  It's not specifically designed to be used with a camera, it's purely a sound recorder.  It would be up to you to sync the audio with your video in post.

As for whether it's any good, if I was you, I would look for reviews of it.  A little googling should work for that.  I can't see any reson to look on a Canon user forum (i.e. here) because there's nothing particularly Canon-ey about that device.

Personally, for ambisonic stuff, I have the Rode NT-SF1 mic, but of course I use a 4-channel audio recorder with it -- generally the Tascam DR-701 or the Zoom F6.  And I use it for field recording, so there's no camera involved.

Announcements