cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R Firmware update error

niimantse7
Contributor

I've been trying to update my EOS R to the latest version (1.8) but the update process always stops at 81%. Any help please

#firmware #eos 

10 REPLIES 10

NatalyaP
Product Expert
Product Expert

Greetings niimantse7,

Let's remove any accessory that may be attached to the camera. For example, remove the lens, any flash that is mounted to the hot shoe, any cables or cords, and to remove the battery grip if one is installed.

I would also recommend using a memory card that is 64GB or lower, and leave the second card slot empty when updating the firmware on the camera.

If you continue to experience issues, then you may send the camera to our facility to have the firmware updated. Simply log on to your My Canon Account and submit a service request to begin the process.

Tried all these already🥲 And 3 different memory cards lower than 64. Always stops at 81. 

If you've followed all recommended procedures, sending it in for the firmware update would be the next step. You can get started at https://Canon.us/account 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I checked FW updates for the EOS R

Canon Support for EOS R | Canon U.S.A., Inc.

Did you have the opportunity to try NatalyaP's suggestions?

Start here:

Freshly charged battery (Canon Brand) OEM battery

Remove the lens and all accessories connected to the camera, lens, lens adapter (if used) etc.

Confirm your SD card is full size, not micro SD with adapter

Reset your camera's settings Main and Custom to defaults (Don't skip this step)

Format your SD card in Camera - (since you are having issues) Perform a Low Level Format

shadowsports_0-1714919760660.png

Copy the 1.8.0.FIR file to the root of the card

Perform the update steps again.  Post your results.  

If the process fails again, try with a different card.

If this fails, your camera will require service from Canon.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Yeah I tried those steps. I'm unable to reset settings because the camera is stuck at the update error

40E185F4-9DDB-41AD-ABE5-EF2ACA429054.jpeg

Oh, also, have you re-downloaded the file? The firmware image may have gotten corrupt somehow during download or transfer to the card.

I would re-download the file. If you copied it to an SD card reader that connects by USB, you might try a different cable/port on your computer. 

Just did this but it did not work. Is there a way to reset it at this point?

Really frustrated now🥹

You'll want to send it in so our team can flash the firmware for you, if you can't get it to go. You can get started at https://Canon.us/account 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I should have realized that "stops" at 81% = "stuck" in the firmware update operation as you revealed later.  

You can try Stephen's suggestion with a fresh download of the firmware, but this behavior is 100% indicative of a bricked device.  So (unfortunately)  ☹️ I suspect the camera will be going to Canon.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements