cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 firmware V2.0 availability for macOS Big Sur

bqfraboni
Apprentice

I have a MacBook Pro running Big Sur 11.7.1 - I received an email that my R5 had a firmware update for 2.0 but it doesn't show on the Canon website dropdown for this OS.  My cousin has MacOS Sonoma V14 and it shows up for her.  Does this mean I can't use this Version 2.0 on my R5?  Also, my computer doesn't see my camera and I'm on R5 firmware V19 and the Big Sur 11.7.1.  Any suggestions? Thanks, Barbara

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Camera firmware is OS agnostic so you can pick any version where the firmware is available. I see it listed under OSX v12, 13 or 14.  The .FIR file is the same for the camera regardless of which OS you select.  🙂

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Camera firmware is OS agnostic so you can pick any version where the firmware is available. I see it listed under OSX v12, 13 or 14.  The .FIR file is the same for the camera regardless of which OS you select.  🙂

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you - we'll give that a try.  Barbara

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Thanks Barbara.  All of the downloads include a .PDF with instructions.  Biggest takeaways.

User a freshly formatted SD Card, put the .FIR file in the root directory of the card.

If you have a CFExpressB card installed, remove it temporarily during the FW upgrade.

Use a fully charged battery

Once you select Firmware in the camera menu's you'll see the prompt to upgrade from version to version >

Use the Quick Control dial (rear) to move focus to OK, then press the Set button.

Do not operate the camera or press any buttons until the FW update is complete.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements