cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection failed for wifi on r50 camera to phone app

Zander013
Contributor

hi im having issues with my EOS R50, im not able to connect to it on my pixel 7 running android 14. bluetooth is fine but when i attempt to connect over wifi to transfer pictures it justs give me connection failed. ive run through all the tips on here to attempt to fix everything short of having to reformat my phone which i feel is a little unnecessary.

ive run on the latest cannon firmware for the camera and the cannon connect app and still unable to wifi connect for any of the features. I've hard wiped any Bluetooth and wifi settings on my phone to see if that would help but to no avail. any help would be greatly appriecated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Zander013
Contributor

So it appears that the issue is fixed with the newest update. In the top right corner menu it has a security section now that allows you to change from wpa3-personal to wpa2-personal and it allows the connection between the phone and camera now. I havnt had a chance to truely dig into how stable the connection is due to work at the moment but thankfully it appears it is now working as it was intended.

Sorry for so much grief I've given those trying to assist and for being annoyed with canon.

View solution in original post

39 REPLIES 39

I started this post almost 4 months and I don't think it will be fixed in the month and a half I have before I leave for a trip in which having the usability of this would be a huge bonus over physical connecting and drag and drop to my phone or attaching the SD card to my laptop when I want to check my images out.

Hi Zander. I saw this same topic over on an R10 post for the same thing. I have an R10 and a Pixel 7 Pro. One person's son figured out that if you set up the network between the camera and the phone w/o an SSID that it worked. Bypassing a security feature is never ideal. Something I did notice was that when I tried connecting the phone with the SSID that it came up with an error message stating to the effect that it couldn't connect to the internet. I'm wondering if the Pixel software is preventing spoofing attacks on their security side. But honestly, we as consumers are in the dark on this one.

How do you make a network without Ssid? Could you link to the post? Or did you mean without password/open network?

I tried a Samsung Note 10 today and it connected right away. So definetely a phone rather than camera issue. Google Pixel and Zenfone seem affected but others not. 

It should also be noted:

1. You will need to tell the CC app to forget your camera.
  2. Tell your phone to forget your Bluetooth connection.
  3. You will need to go through the Internet connections in settings once you get the camera set up. You will get a warning from the phone about not actually seeing the internet. It's this part that makes me suspicious of an anti-malicious connection setting in the background to prevent hackers from accessing your your phone.
  4. You will likely have to do this every time you want to connect the phone via WiFi from the camera.

Sorry, no easy solution, but it technically can be made to work by forcing it to. It's a hack at best. I'm not an expert at this, I didn't come up with it, so always use your own best judgement. The real solution is for Canon to admit they don't know what happened, talk with Google, and fix it. If Canon doesn't want to deal with it (camera companies are extremely conservative for good reason), then they need a new head of software development and management to deal with the fact they need to get with the times or continue to see market share erode.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I'd like to point out the following which applies to all wireless networks. Its not possible to create a WI-Fi broadcast without a network name (SSID) Service Set Identifier.

You can hide or mask the SSID, but a network has to have a name.  Also note, a hidden name is still discoverable.  The only component that is not needed is a password if the broadcast is "open" or unsecured.  An encryption type is still required for the broadcast, but if left "open" a password will not be required.  

"No Internet" option or reference.  This is expected.  Here's an example.  A wireless network does not need an internet connection to function.  It will broadcast and allow devices to associate or connect.  Their ability to reach the web depends on the network's connection to the internet.  

The balloon, "tool tip" or message that displays on a computer, mobile device, tablet, etc states "no internet" because the network you are connecting to, a camera in this case is broadcasting a wireless network, that does not have internet access.    

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Zander013
Contributor

So it appears that the issue is fixed with the newest update. In the top right corner menu it has a security section now that allows you to change from wpa3-personal to wpa2-personal and it allows the connection between the phone and camera now. I havnt had a chance to truely dig into how stable the connection is due to work at the moment but thankfully it appears it is now working as it was intended.

Sorry for so much grief I've given those trying to assist and for being annoyed with canon.

Greetings,

Although I am not having any connection issues, (For the benefit of others) can you please provide a screenshot of  "In the top right corner menu it has a security section now that allows you to change from wpa3-personal to wpa2-personal".

Top right corner of what menu? 

I'm running a Pixel 8, Android 14.  Canon Connect App v3.120.57_1397.  This is the latest version available for Android.  It was released Feb 29, 2024

Last firmware for the R50 was released in 12/2023 v1.1.0

Release notes:
Firmware Version 1.1.0 incorporates the following enhancements and fixes:
1. Adds support for RF-S10-18mm F4.5-6.3 IS STM lens.
2. Adds support for the Software Development Assistance Kit (EDSDK/CCAPI).
3. Fixes minor issues.

Helpful if you could provide more details.  

Thanks

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

1000412365.png

1000412366.png

1000412368.png

  

pminhquydl
Apprentice

Hi, I tried to change wpa3-personal to wpa2-personal, but it did not work.

I bought the camera a couple of days ago. I used Camera Connect to transfer images from the camera to my phone normally three or four times. Today, I can not import the images. Each time I import the images, 3-4 pictures will transfer, and after that, the camera shuts down. Also, there is a notification that "Camera can not connect to wifi, check the camera setting,..."

How can I solve this problem?

Thank you.

Announcements