cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 C How to read clip metadata

HarborPictures
Contributor

Good morning!

I'm looking for a way to read the clip data info - lens, aperture, ISO, etc. on clips shot on the R5 C. Currently I need to review the data on .mxf files, but it would be great to do the same for RAW, or .MOV files as well.

I tried the XF Utility, but it does not recognize the files.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Bill

5 REPLIES 5

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Bill,

I've not tested this.  If you cannot preview the .mxf file in the XF-AVC Utility, you will likely need to convert it to MOV H.264.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hey Rick

I was out on a shoot for the week. On the evening offloads I took the opportunity to test. Here’s what I found.

- If you shoot RAW and generate in-camera proxies, you can read all the data just fine with XF Utility. You just need to point the utility at the proxy card.

- I found an error in my process when I went to revisit the footage shot earlier in the year that triggered my question. I had moved the files from the card images to a dedicated clip folder containing the clips from multiple cards. For XF Utility to work, you need to keep the card structure intact. I expect the XF Utility is reading the sidecar metadata file. 

Going forward I’ll be keeping my offloaded card images intact and not simplifying the folder structure when moving into post. That way should I need to note the previous camera settings for future shoots, it’ll be there.

Thanks for the assist!

Bill

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Bill,

This is helpful information for sure. Others may ask and you've provided confirmation.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I was bummed I assumed the data was in the file. I’m editing in Resolve and it would be great to be able to see it as exif under the file info.

It’d be great if we could encourage the cinema team to extend integration with the main post tools. 

Until then, it’d be helpful to be able to export the data from XF Utility to a text, or .csv file for camera reports.

Pretty please?

ntbone
Apprentice

I am new to MXF files. Recently acquired an R5C.  I wanted to be able to inspect meta data as well. I do not think the information is in the index.mif file, nor is it in the XML file.  I belief the information is in fact embedded in the MXF, however the Canon XF Utility is the only tool that can read it, and it will only read the files if the index.mif is present.

Someone wrote a utility to get the here that can read the lens info from the MXF files.  I haven't tried it.

I have experimented with the XF Utility (which can create new index.mif files as well) and looked at the differences and there doesn't seem to be nearly enough data in the file to be storing the actual meta-data. I believe it is all embedded in the .MXF

Announcements