cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Choosing memory card for the Canon EOS R5

taradeone
Contributor

Hello! I just recently ordered the Canon EOS R5 and have been doing loads of research on which memory cards to choose but can't seem to narrow down the best choice.

I will be shooting photos and 8k videos. I want memory cards that will last long enough for me to take a 4-day backpacking trip in the Colorado wilderness to shoot Wildlife and landscape photography and videography.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! 

Thank you!

6 REPLIES 6

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

I have personally used both SanDisk and Angelbird cards.  My new favorite is Angelbird.

One important thing to note is that if capturing 8K, you'll need to do so to the CFexpress card slot (many of the codecs involving 8K requires the higher bandwidth of CFexpress.  Even a V90-rated SD card will not be fast enough).

Though for your secondary slot, highly recommend a V90-rated SDXC UHS-II card.

The most important card specification to look at is the sustained write speed.  One reason I ended up primarily moving to Angelbird is that they show that value as the most prominant info on their cards (i.e. largest font/typeface).  SanDisk will instead put in largest type, the theoretical maximum read speed which isn't useful at all when speaking to capturing photos/video.

Always stick will full-sized cards.  Never use cards that require adapters.

Back to read speeds... sometimes very difficult to find is what the sustained read speeds are.  Higher read speeds can be good in potentially allowing faster copies from those cards to your computer.  I say potentially in that it will all depend upon your computer storage write speed and how you're connecting things to read the media cards.

You may want to also invest in a backup solution.  While the EOS R5 does have dual card slots which you can set up to ensure photos are saved to both, any videos that can only be recorded to the CFexpress card will not have any backups.  Portable drives that either have built-in card readers, or able to be connected to dedicated card readers, would allow you to make copies.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Do you use other brands of CFExpress card readers for Angelbird? Or you use Angelbird card reader as well? 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

I second everything that Ricky stated.

AngelBird, Pro-Grade and SanDisk cards have all performed wonderfully for me.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

What type of reader are using for AngelBird without an issue? Just received my R5 and figuring out the best card options. I do photography and also going to utilize the 8k capabilities. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

I have a ProGrade PG05.5  dual.  Works great.  I've used it with all the card brands I mentioned above.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the Canon Forums!.

The guys have given you good advice on selecting a memory card.  I just want to bring your attention to another concern you may need to work out on your 4-day hike.  For example, do not count on having access to cell phone service and internet, at all.

How do you plan to recharge your batteries?    How many do you plan to carry?

How many memory cards do you think you will need for the entire trip?  I recommend backing them up to some type of portable storage device.

8B01D757-3082-4E30-89AA-F798494D3D92.jpeg

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements