cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS REBEL T5. SPEEDLITE 430EX 2. TRYING TO USE THE 430 EX 2 as a slave to my Rebel T5

Maddyg
Apprentice

I am a total newbie. Purchased this camera for food shots.  Trying to set up the Rebel T5 with the Speedlite. I connected the EOS under the "P". I set the speed lite to slave.  I went to camera menu and made sure flash firing was enabled.Then went to built in flash function setting. Flash mode is greyed out to e-ttl2. Can't change it. Shutter sync is 1st curtain. Flash exp.comp is in the middle and then finally e-title 2 meter is set on evaluative. All other choices (external flash function setting, external flash cf.n and clear ext. flash C.fn setting only gives you a message as MENU NOT AVAILABLE. What am I missing?

6 REPLIES 6

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Is the speedilite on the camera?

You have to set the T5 as the Wireless master. Look in the manual under Wireless Flash.

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@Maddyg wrote:

I am a total newbie. Purchased this camera for food shots.  Trying to set up the Rebel T5 with the Speedlite. I connected the EOS under the "P". I set the speed lite to slave.  I went to camera menu and made sure flash firing was enabled.Then went to built in flash function setting. Flash mode is greyed out to e-ttl2. Can't change it. Shutter sync is 1st curtain. Flash exp.comp is in the middle and then finally e-title 2 meter is set on evaluative. All other choices (external flash function setting, external flash cf.n and clear ext. flash C.fn setting only gives you a message as MENU NOT AVAILABLE. What am I missing?

If you are using a T5 and not a T5i, I'm pretty sure the built-in flash of the T5 is NOT capable of being used as a Master Flash to control the 430EX II (or any other flash) as an ETTL slave flash.

Maddyg
Apprentice
Oh No!! I think you are right. What are my options? The whole idea was to use lighting to help with these food shots.

@Maddyg wrote:
Oh No!! I think you are right. What are my options? The whole idea was to use lighting to help with these food shots.

There are a couple of options, the least expensive is to use an off camera ETTL flash cord like the Canon OC-E3. I have the genuine Canon OC-E3, and a longer Yongnuo version and they are identical in quality.

The other option is to buy a Canon 90EX, that is the least expensive option to use as an optical wireless ETTL Master flash.

Note, with both of these options the remote 430EX II becomes the only flash, the built-in flash won't work when the OC-E3 is attached, and the 90EX isn't powerful enough to both control other flashes, and act as a flash while doing so.

@TTMartin wrote:

@Maddyg wrote:

There are a couple of options, the least expensive is to use an off camera ETTL flash cord like the Canon OC-E3. I have the genuine Canon OC-E3, and a longer Yongnuo version and they are identical in quality.

The other option is to buy a Canon 90EX, that is the least expensive option to use as an optical wireless ETTL Master flash.

Note, with both of these options the remote 430EX II becomes the only flash, the built-in flash won't work when the OC-E3 is attached, and the 90EX isn't powerful enough to both control other flashes, and act as a flash while doing so.

Could he use the 430EX II as an on-camera master and a 90EX as the off-camera slave?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

430EX cannot be a master.

Announcements