Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone Ordering The R5C?

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Anyone else considering?  The R5C was not the road I anticipated taking, but I'm tired of waiting and since this body doesn't overheat, I am more confident about it over the standard R5.      

Although I am a stills shooter, the Cinema EOS side of the body is intriguing.  Its so much smaller than a C70.  I'm not serious enough about video that I'd miss Clog2.  The body has 16 14 stops so plenty of DR for my use.  Its also not limited to Super35 or 16 (which isn't so much a limitation), but Canon has really stepped up here.  I don't care about ibis.  All of my lenses except 1 are IS and the body has digital IS built in.  I have purchased a bunch of accessories.  Control Ring Adapter, 2 512GB CF ExpressB, 2 128GB UHSII, 2x Watson batteries (Canon was out of stock), and I've not tried Manfrotto batteries yet.  

Going to try the AngelBird CFExpress cards and ProGrade for the XD Cards.  I've always used SanDisk so going to try something else.  Both are highly rated.

I also contacted EasyCover in the Netherlands and my contact there has said they do not plan to make a skin for the R5C.  Was hoping for this, but am more excited about a new body.  Haven't pulled the trigger quite yet.  I have a quick business trip and wanted to be back for the arrival.  Plan to wait a week.  If nothing glaring is reported, I will finally move to mirrorless.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

131 REPLIES 131

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Ron,

You aren't the only one...   I posted about it as well.

What is up with the Take A Survey Pop Up? - Canon Community

And I have this page set as a favorite, but agree we should be able to skip to to last page.  I guess this thread has about run its course.  Surprised its basically just 2 of us here.  I'm still going to buy, when its available.   Have a nice weekend. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

wobbleman99
Rising Star

Hi Rick,

Yes, I too find it odd that we are the only two participants.  But I am enjoying the R5c. 

FYI, I have had a pleasing and informative back-and-forth with a Sigma Lens representative who has assured me that their lenses will autofocus on the R5c in video mode.  And unlike Tamron's rather arrogant response to my query, the Sigma representative has been quite accommodating.  While I already own 2 EF mount 24-70mm lenses (Canon F/2.8 and the Tamron F/2.8) I will be purchasing yet another 24-70mm from Sigma, primarily for its OIS and AF capability.  The Tamron is beyond its return date, and I will keep it for the C300, on which its AF works.  The Canon 24-70 does not have OIS, which I find to be a necessary feature for video, even when a monopod is being used, so the Canon sits in its bag, unused, to be resurrected if and when I hang either camera on a tripod.

I am sure that you will be more than pleased with the R5c when you receive it.  While it's not perfect, it has no peer, and it is a lot easier to maneuver with than the C300.

Best regards and have a great weekend,

Ron

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Hi Ron,

I have the Sigma 24~70 f2.8 Art.  Its my walk around lens.  Its about 2/3 lbs heavier than the Canon equivalent, but what a fantastic piece of glass.  (82mm filter BTW).  OIS is amazing.  The biggest difference between it and the Tamron is the lens coatings.  The Tamron was produced about year later.  I bought it new on release and had to wait about a month for the order to be fulfilled.  This lens is built in Japan.  FW is updated regularly.  I chose it over Canon because I wanted OIS.

Prior to this I had a T6s which I paired with a Sigma 17~70 f2.8~4 "C".  Although variable aperture and only the C series, I was absolutely floored by the sharpness, low light performance and quality. 

IMG_0546.JPG

IMG_0136.JPG

IMG_0144.JPG

IMG_0426.JPG

When I moved to FF, Sigma had what I wanted again. I had such a good experience with the C I decided to try the Art.  Sigma has a trio of RF lenses, but are slowly developing a new line up to transition to.  I suspect they (too) have started to taper off EF production a bit. 

I'll use it with a control ring for the time being and then decide if I want to replace with RF version since it has IS, and for now (at least) shooting with ND isn't a requirement for me.  My 6D2 was a great upgrade from APS-C.  I think the R5C will rival this and open some new doors for me video creation wise.  I haven't done video seriously since Firewire and mini-DV.  You may remember VideoMaker Magazine.  Back in the day when LANC ports were king.  I guess we've come quite a ways.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

wobbleman99
Rising Star

Hi Rick,

The images that you'd posted look great, good color, sharpness and overall resolution.  Does your Sigma 24-70 ART have OIS, i.e., is the older or newer version?  The reviews that I have read, or the videos that I have watched, all seem to feel that there is an issue with edge sharpness, particularly at the long and short end of its focal lengths.  Has that been an issue?

But due to my location in S Florida, ND filtration is a must, particularly with the MK III's native ISO's of 800 and 3200.  The R5c has roughly the same native ISO's, making ND filtration a must have.  Besides that, the RF lenses are more costly than their EF equivalents, which I can use interchangeably with both cameras (C300 and R5c).  But down the road I might consider an RF lens with a screw-on variable ND filter.

Addendum:  After several hours of reading and listening to reviews, I think that I will walk back my EF statement, in re the Sigma 24-70, and reconsider the new Canon RF 24-70mm IS lens with a screw-in variable ND filter.  There will be a $1,000 up-charge when compared to the Sigma, but the reviews suggest that it might be worth the difference.  The only downside will be that I will not be able use it with the C300 Mk III, but the Tamron 24-70 does work with that camera, so it might not be a real drawback.

Regards,

Ron

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Ron,

The images are from 17~70

I'll dig some up from the 24~70.  Mine is the second gen with OIS.  I haven't noticed significant vignetting, or softness on the edges at 24 or 70mm.  I have not compared it to the G2.  I may be wrong about the release dates, but as before I don't like Tamron's due to their reversed zoom ring direction.  Silly but it bugs me. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi Rick,

I generally buy/use OEM lenses, and the Tamron—aside from a collection of Cine lenses—is the only 3rd party lens that I own.  And I wouldn't have purchased it had the Canon EF 24-70mm F/4 OIS been available but, alas, it had been discontinued. Actually, I am not as concerned about the minor vignetting as I am about softness.  And for video, the OIS really makes a difference, at least for my inherent unsteadiness that has progressed with advancing age.  That said, I already have quite a collection of Canon EF lenses that I have accumulated for the C300, and that can now be used with the R5c via the adapter.  And the screw-in Variable ND for an RF lens will add ad inconvenience, but it should be OK, since I only intend to use it for video.  While I have shot a few images in the R5c's photo mode, and it is nice to have both available should the need for a still shot arise, I prefer to use my MF cameras for things that do not move.  But I have extracted some impressive frames from video clips that could serve as stills shots, although the results are decidedly better when shot with the proper tool, i.e., stills camera. 

I have yet to pull the trigger on the 24-70, however, and the fact that Adorama and B&H are currently closed has given me time to consider the purchase.

Best regards,

Ron

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

There is always Lens Rentals dot com.  The Sigma is $74 for 7 days.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi Rick,

Thank you for the suggestion, but I have yet to find a reviewer who hasn't commented on the lateral softness of the Sigma 24-70. But I just noticed that B&H has a small, almost insignificant rebate on that lens.  That said, I am going to fiddle with the non-OIS Canon 24-70 that I have sitting on a shelf, and come to a decision about the RF version.  I have been shooting the past few days with the Canon L EF 85mm F/1.4 that is tack sharp—almost too sharp—but it is heavy.  But handholding the R5c when using a lens with OIS is reasonably effective, while I cannot say the same for the MK III, that needs my monopod.

Regards,

Ron

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Ron,

Note that the Sigma 24~70 (second gen) with OIS is a very heavy lens.  I don't notice it, but others might.  Also, I'm not a wedding photographer.  These are just pics of my family.  I'm not at home today so don't have access to any landscape photos which might give you a better example of uniformity edge to edge.  I know using ND is important for you.  Not here to sell anybody on anything.  The Sigma's have both been great lenses for me.  I tell people to use what works best for them.  Its nice to know from my standpoint that my Sigma lens is going to with the R5C.  Appreciate you confirming that.  OIS in video works great.  It was one of the major selling points for me.  Nothing beats IS when you are tired, fatigued or had one too many cups of coffee.  Its bokeh is nice also.   

IMG_1157.JPG    

IMG_1433_DxO.jpg

Anna_Dad.jpgIMG_1436_DxO.jpg

IMG_1435_DxO.jpg

IMG_0545.JPG

IMG_1178.JPG

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi Rick, 

Thank you for the images that are very attractive, as are the subjects.  I am aware of the Sigma's weight issue, but the Canon RF is no lightweight either.  I still have not come to a decision, but I am leaning in the direction of the RF lens.  I have to run out for awhile and will decide later on.

Best regards,

Ron

Announcements