cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Pixma PRO-200 - "Cover is open" error message

robclarke6
Contributor

Hi all, don't suppose anybody can shed any light on this issue? My Canon Pixma Pro-200 has worked faultlessly for just over 12 months but yesterday I turned it on to be greeted with the error message "Cover is open. Close the cover" - referring to the flip up cover for changing the in cartridges - even though this cover is firmly shut. I've turned it off and on again, no luck. I've left it overnight with the power cable removed from the back of the printer (as advised by Canon live chat), plugged it back in this morning and I'm still getting the error message. Does anybody know how to fix this? I've got orders for photos and posters on an online store I run which are starting to back up so I'm getting sligthly worried

For reference - I use only Genuine Canon ink cartridges. I am running macOS Monterey 12.6.3 and my printer is connected to my iMac via a USB cable. All drivers on the printer are up-to-date

IMG_6497.jpgIMG_6498.jpgIMG_6499.jpgIMG_6501.jpg

3 REPLIES 3

HughesDF
Apprentice

Hello,

Double-check the cover: Even though you mentioned that the cover is firmly shut, it's worth confirming again. Open the cover, ensure there are no obstructions or foreign objects, and then firmly close it.

Power cycle the printer: Turn off the printer, unplug the power cable from the back, and wait for a few minutes. Then, plug the power cable back in and turn on the printer. Check if the error message persists.

Reset the printer: If the error persists, try performing a reset on your Canon Pixma Pro-200 printer. To do this, turn off the printer and unplug the power cable. Wait for about 5 minutes, then plug the power cable back in and turn on the printer. This process can sometimes clear temporary glitches and errors.

Update firmware and drivers: Confirm that you have the latest firmware installed on your printer. Visit the Canon support website and check if there are any firmware updates available for your model. Additionally, make sure you have the most recent printer drivers installed on your iMac. Sometimes, outdated firmware or drivers can cause unexpected errors.

Clean sensors: There might be sensors in the printer that detect the status of the cover. Dust or debris on these sensors could potentially trigger the false "Cover is open" message. Gently clean the sensors with a soft, lint-free cloth to ensure they are free from any obstruction.

Contact Canon support: If none of the above steps resolve the issue, it's recommended to reach out to Canon support directly. They have access to specialized knowledge and can provide you with further assistance, including any specific troubleshooting steps or potential repairs that might be needed.    Bookiemarket

Hopefully, one of these steps will help resolve the "Cover is open" error on your Canon Pixma Pro-200 printer.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I can't tell clearly from the photos, but ius the small flip cover in front of the paper tray open? On my Pro-100 that needs to be closed in order to print.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

This is closed yes - I wasn't even aware this could open until this issue occured. But yes, have tried opening & closing the small front tray to see if it make any difference but unfortunately it doesn't

Announcements