cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imageCLASS MF641Cw WiFi password is definitely correct but printer won't connect to WiFi

DonnyBahama
Apprentice

I've just made some changes to the network, including a new SSID and password. I went through the network settings on the printer - selected the SSID and very carefully typed the correct password. I've done this multiple times on 2 different printers (both are MF641CW) and both refuse to connect. Does anyone know if these printers have some kind of limitation on password length or characters? Or maybe it's our WPA mode... do they support WPA2/WPA3?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Please tell us more about the router or routers you are using the printers with.  brand/model. 

The printer (MF641Cw) supports 2.4Ghz Wireless.  WPA2/AES Encryption.  If your routers are dual or tri-band and using the same SSID name for all broadcasts, this might cause connection issues.

Here's what you can try:

Use Unique SSID names for each broadcast (example) yournetwork2.4, yournetwork5G  

Ensure you use WPA2 or WPA3/WPA2 to ensure backwards compatibility.  WPA2 is very secure.

Temporarily disable the 5G broadcast, re-enable once the printer is connected to the 2.4Ghz.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Tiffany

Welcome to the forum!

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know which version of Windows or macOS are you using? Is there an error message? Any other details you'd like to give will only help the Community better understand your issue.  If this is a time-sensitive matter, click HERE search our knowledge base or find additional support options HERE

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Please tell us more about the router or routers you are using the printers with.  brand/model. 

The printer (MF641Cw) supports 2.4Ghz Wireless.  WPA2/AES Encryption.  If your routers are dual or tri-band and using the same SSID name for all broadcasts, this might cause connection issues.

Here's what you can try:

Use Unique SSID names for each broadcast (example) yournetwork2.4, yournetwork5G  

Ensure you use WPA2 or WPA3/WPA2 to ensure backwards compatibility.  WPA2 is very secure.

Temporarily disable the 5G broadcast, re-enable once the printer is connected to the 2.4Ghz.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks a bunch, Rick! We just upgraded from a crappy old consumer grade router to an enterprise-grade TP-Link system with 2 tri-band access points. Turning off 5 and 6 GHz bands didn't do the trick but creating a new SSID that's 2.4 GHz only did the trick. All of this is for a business so I really appreciate your speedy response!

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Thanks for the feedback DonnyBahama.  I have a tri-band 6G mesh system also.  I created a dedicated 2.4Ghz band which currently hosts my printers also.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements