cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon IJ Scan Utility Lite compatibility with MacOS Ventura (13)

bounds
Apprentice

I was just disheartened to hear from Canon tech support that the Canon IJ Scan Utility Lite tool is not compatible with MacOS Ventura.  I was sad to learn that my ~10-year-old Pixma MG3520 was no longer compatible with newer versions of MacOS, but I'd had a good run, and figured I would happily buy a new Canon inkjet hoping for another long run.  Unfortunately, while Canon claims several of their new models are compatible with MacOS 13/Ventura (and the basic printing and scanning functions work fine from the computer), their Canon IJ Scan Utility Lite software (needed to set up the scan-to-computer button function on the printer) could not see my brand new Canon inkjet.  After a bit of time with two different tech support people, I was summarily told that the Scan Utility Lite is not compatible with MacOS Ventura, and Canon sees this as Apple's problem rather than their own. 

I have no problem with Canon deciding not to fully support Apple's latest operating system, but they should certainly make that clear in their compatibility charts on their product selection pages.  While they may in fact someday rewrite the long-in-the-tooth IJ Scan Utility Lite, I would not hold my breath.

Additional details:  I'm running Ventura 13.5 on an M2 Mac.  The printer and computer are connected over a WiFi network.  The versions of Canon IJ Scan Utility Lite that I tested were 4.0.4 and 4.0.1.  I tried the tricks of uninstalling and reinstalling, restarting in every possible sequence, and disabling IPV6 on the printer. 

It's possibly a small thing not to be able to use the scan button feature, but for all the time, energy, and dollars wasted to try to get this to work, I have to say I'm quite disappointed in Canon for not at least being clearer in their marketing materials.

3 REPLIES 3

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

IJ Scan Utility Lite works fine on my MacBook Air M2 Ventura 13.5.

Screenshot 2023-08-19 at 8.27.45 AM.pngScreenshot 2023-08-19 at 8.28.42 AM.png

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks for the reply. I had thought I had heard several people indicate that it worked for them.  Nevertheless Canon Tech Support informed me that it was not compatible, it was Apple's issue, and that they would not offer assistance in debugging the problem with my new printer.

My printer is a TR8620a.

Announcements