cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this vignetting on SX60HS

nhrdls12
Contributor

IMG_2653_01.jpg

I have noticed that when camera focal length shows 4mm, I always get rounded corners. Is there anything I can do to avoid it.

7 REPLIES 7

diverhank
Authority

Try removing the hood?

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

It is vignetting, but not the vignetting everyone usually talks about. Typically vignetting is about 1 stop, yours looks like about 12. 8^) This looks to be a lens misalignment that is allowing the lens image circle to be visible. I think you need to send it for repair. Do you have anything on the lens like a hood or third party adapter?

The lense does not have a hood. What I have noticed by checking JPEG exif data is it happens only when focal length is 4MM. I don't see this effect in any other time.

Do I still need to send camera for repair?

That is the wide end. Clearly something is misaligned and might be preventing you from getting all the way to 3.8 mm, I would send it in.

Or call Canon. Maybe it is normal for this camera, but I doubt it.

@nhrdls12 wrote:

The lense does not have a hood. What I have noticed by checking JPEG exif data is it happens only when focal length is 4MM. I don't see this effect in any other time.

Do I still need to send camera for repair?

Do you have a 'protective filter' on the lens?

If so remove that.

Toddg
Apprentice

This is not Vignetting. It is caused by the wide angle lens and the end of the lens itself. To correct this, zoom in just a bit (try 6 mm or 8 mm). This will usually correct the shot. Anytime I have my macro lens on my camera, and I shoot a wide shot, this happens as well. 

It doesn't look like vignetting to me.  The "event horizon" of an image circle is usually not that clean and defined.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements