cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PowerShot SX60 HS: Loses time and date problem

fortunafoto
Apprentice

Hi, when I change the battery in my SX60HS, it loses the time and date information.  What's happening here?

Thanks,

Bob

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

normadel
Authority
Authority

Ummmm, the simple explanation is that the internal date/time battery is depleted, so it does not charge from the main battery. So you lose date/time instantly if the main battery is removed.

The FIX would be to have Canon replace the internal date/time battery, but like Tronhard said, that's not likely on this 10-year-old camera. You have to ask Canon.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

To clarify, is your situation that the camera being powered up, then turned off and a new battery installed causes it to lose the date and time, or has it been some time since you have used the camera with a battery before using the new battery?   
If the battery has been removed or discharged for about 3 weeks, the data and time will be lost.  Even if you put a new battery in, it will take about 4 hours to power up the EPROM to keep the date/time again.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

fortunafoto
Apprentice

Hi, this is an immediate thing.  I take the one battery out and immediately replace it with a fully charged one.  The one that is removed is not fully discharged.  I always make sure that the camera is turned off before pulling the battery.  While I've had extensive experience with digital cameras, I've never had one do this.  In this instance, I started with a full battery, and was shooting heavily, 180 shots in about an hour (wildlife shooting), and the battery was down to the last bar when I finished. 

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Thanks for your clarification.  I had an SX60HS some time ago, so this is somewhat from memory - I would suspect that the EPROM that keeps the date and time may be faulty and not holding the data.  Assuming there is a consistent energy supply, it should hold its settings.  The SX60 is an old camera and it may simply be a function of its age.  I would very much doubt that it would be serviced now, and if it is was, that it would be economically viable to do so.
So, I suspect that if is not critical and, if there are no other symptoms, then keep on taking shots but perhaps see this as a straw in the wind and start considering your options in case it fails completely.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

normadel
Authority
Authority

Ummmm, the simple explanation is that the internal date/time battery is depleted, so it does not charge from the main battery. So you lose date/time instantly if the main battery is removed.

The FIX would be to have Canon replace the internal date/time battery, but like Tronhard said, that's not likely on this 10-year-old camera. You have to ask Canon.

Thank you, this is logical, and it's probably not worth the cost or effort to have the battery replaced.  My time goes back to when cameras didn't have batteries, built-in meters and all this other stuff.  A simpler time for sure, but not one I would readily want to return to...

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

A couple of my older Canons had a small user-serviceable memory battery to retain the time and date settings. It should show in your user manual if that's the case for your SX60HS. Most newer models it seems use a more "built-in" battery or possibly even a capacitor that charges from the main battery to maintain memory. If it's a capacitor that's completely lost its charge, it may take a fair bit of time for it to "form" to where it will hold a charge again. Or the capacitor itself may have just failed.

We've already established that the SX60 HS does not have a user-replaceable battery.

Announcements