cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't update to new firmware on Powershot SX530HS

IhateCanon1
Contributor

I am very impressed that Canon chose to update their firmware without warning during a global pandemic with NO customer support.

It is grreat, just GREAT, that I can't connect my Powershot SX530 HS to my iPhone or computer through Wifi anymore.  I now have a very expenisve paperweight.

The update will wipe the entire memory card?  Good thing we have a way to get all those pictures saved, right???  Oh, wait a second....

So, after borrowing an adapter, and buying and formating a new card, I followed the directions and downloaded the firmward update onto the new card which had been formatted in the camera per instructions.

Then putting it back in the camera, it can take pictures.  But when trying to connect to the Canon.Image rather than the old image Gateway, all it does is tell me that I need to update the date and time (which is correct and what it did before)..

Not that anyone has major life events happening now while also trying to take care of a job and homeschoolign children, but Canon can't bother answering the #&^*(& phone.  Boy I am so happy I have a Canon camera. 

24 REPLIES 24

Yes I remember now.  I happened to have an SD card that worked with the camera and I remember downloading the file from the web and performing the update.  But the Firmware Update choice does appear without the card.  In fact, I just went to the Menu a bit ago and it wasn't there.  Then, I went to Wifi connect, and performed that partial exercise (didn't actually connect) and cancelled.  Then I went back to the menu and there was the firmware update.  Hah.  That's weird.

But I must have found either a discussion somewhere on the Web talking about using the SD card.  So now when I hit on the update choice, it says it's already complete, even though humorously, I don't know if there are any options the update provide that I even use.  

JbPGH
Contributor

You should now be able to connect to images.canon site and download photos via wifi to their cloud or others like Google Photos, Flickr etc. (Without any time / date error messages).

I can now get the camera to try to connect  to the dedicated app.  And I can get the app to know that my connected device is my powershot SX530 HS.  But it never actually connects.  It says it isn’t found. 

And - I had set up an account on images.canon so that I could input the activation code generated during the "pairing" process.  Keep trying!

JbPGH
Contributor

Once I got the firmware to update and the two devices were connected to the same wifi access point they did manage to find each other.

Announcements