cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

admin rights and other issues with the MF236n

chiena
Apprentice

hello,

i have tried to find solutions to my problems through this forum and the web, but can't seem to find any so i thought i would reach out. btw, canon support people, i have been on hold now for 1 hour 22 minutes and counting!

overview:

- newly purchased canon MF236n, wired to home network.

- corp computer, that allows for admin access to work domain, but does not allow me to add a local user or local admin

ok. here are my issues:

- when i try to load the canon software downloaded it states that i don't have admin rights to change the computer. i have tried adding the [checkadmin] flag and adding a local user, but neither has worked. anyone have any other suggestions?

- the energy saver/sleep timer doesnt work. i have tried changing the time and also just pressing the button on the front panel.  is this because it is hardwired to a network? seems odd because my old MF4370dn had no such problems going to and coming out of sleep mode.

thanks in advance for any help.

1 hour 26 minutes and counting on hold....

1 hour 30 minutes....

bingo at 1 hour 31 minutes...  yeah! 

ok. so here is a solution for my admin rights issue:

- the computer i am trying to load the software on connects via vpn to work and i have admin rights in my work domain.  start the software connected to vpn, once it starts looking for the software, disconnect from vpn.  once it finds the printer, restart vpn and finish the installation.  amazingly stupid way to do it, but it worked.

- and now, after doing a test scan on the printer it has gone in to sleep mode!!  

i hope this helped someone, but i am all good.

2 REPLIES 2

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Sorry, but I cannot comment on your company's IT practices.

Regarding sleep however..

Manual for your printer is > here

Pay particular attention to page(s) 76 and 490

The printer's sleep mode can be set from 1~30 min

power.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

yes, i did read the manual and also tried pressing the button as mentioned.  neither would activate sleep mode.  it wasnt until i did a test scan did the printer enter sleep mode.  tech support said something on the network was keeping it awake.  whatever, it is working now.

Announcements