cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF445dw printer/scanner will not print or scan to Mac

Tamara1
Apprentice

I have a Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina).  I recently bought a MF445dw printer/scanner and downloaded the appropriate printer and scanner installation to my mac for the MF 445dw.  I was previously able to print but today, my Mac now says the printer is not responding even though my printer shows that it is added.  Also, I tried to scan for the first time today.  When I am on the device display window, I hit scan, then "send to computer," and I get a message saying my computer is not connected. On my Mac, I went to MF Scan Utility next to the Apple > Network Scanner Settings and made sure the box was checked for the MF440 series, but this did not change anything.  I also tried opening MF Toolbox next to the Apple > Network Scanner Settings, but no scanner was there, and when I clicked + nothing happened and I couldn't add a scanner.  Can anyone help?  I've already re-downloaded the scanner installation.

7 REPLIES 7

buzingha
Apprentice

Same Problem.

Purchased mf445dw 2 months ago and have been wrestling with it ever since. I must have unistalled/reinstalled drivers 10-15 times, made all the adjustments with router mentioned in troubleshoot videos, and reset my wifi network. It just will not maintain a connection to my network or any device [computer, phone, tablet, etc] trying to use it. By the time I gave up trying, I had missed my return window with Amazon. Now I am stuck with a $500 paper weight that absolutely hate.

Very dissatisfied customer

I have been dealing with this issue for almost 2 years now. Its bizarre, no one at Apple or Cannon has been able to address it. Like you I have re-installed, deleted, tried hooking up a USB instead of air-port (that worked perfect for one day)
Even more strange, sometime during this time it just started working perfectly, then stopped again for no reason. My first Cannon printer in 20 years, what a let down, never again.

Hello,

The issue that you are describing points to a drop in network communication or an issue with the selected driver used for printing. In this situation, I would suggest contacting our support team at 1-800-652-2666. Our agents would be happy to help check what is causing the issue.

We would be happy to assist with the issue in chat. To provide some feedback or some troubleshooting steps, we would need some additional information. If you could reply to this message with the information below, we can provide some assistance.

1. What version of the Mac or Windows operating system are you using on your computer?
  2. When it does not print, what error messages do you get or what happens?

Hi Hector,

I've had the same issue with my Color ImageClass MF 644cdw for about 1.5 years. Unfortunately, your1-800-652-2666 support team phone number above has a 1+ hour wait time with no callback option. I'm also using OS Catalina 10.15.7. There is never an error message, the status always says "Offline" when it's online everywhere else and it constantly looks for a printer. I have the same issue with scanning. Please help.

Hello,

If the printer has a working online connection and your Mac is the only device that can't connect, the printer should be on the network but the Mac is having problems connecting to the printer over the network. You can click on the apple in the upper left hand corner of the screen and then click on system preferences. Once in system preferences click on Printers and Scanners. Once in printers and scanners, you can click the + at the bottom of the window to add a printer. In the window, you can select the MF644Cdw in the list and click add. Once it has been added, you can try printing with the new connection to see if it works.

If the Mac does not see the printer in the add printer window, it will mean the Mac can't detect the connection for the printer. At that point, you would need to check the USB or network connections between the printer and computer. 

We would be happy to assist with the issue. To provide some feedback or some troubleshooting steps, we would need some additional information. If you could reply to this message with the information below, we can provide some assistance.

1. Is the printer connected to your Mac via USB, over a wired network connection or is it connected to your network wirelessly?
  2. Is the Mac connected to your network via ethernet or is it via wifi?
  3. Did the Mac find the printer when you clicked the +? If so, what does it show in the USE box near the add button when you select the printer?
  4. What is the operating system on the device that has an online connection to the printer?

Hi Hector,

After all these years, I figured it out. This happens every time the power goes out or I upgrade my network. My drivers had been downloaded but weren't in use causing my printer to show as offline.

The Solution: System Preferences/Printers & Scanners

1. Highlight your printer
  2. Click the - sign
  3. Click Delete Printer
  4. Click the + sign
  5. Highlight your printer when it populates
  6. Click in the Use field
  7. Select your printer driver
  8. Click Add

I've likely completed this step with tech support on the phone and don't recall, but it worked for me this time.

sweetpreston
Apprentice

I had the same issue again! I followed my solution and it worked.

Announcements