cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF232w is selectable as AirPrint printer in iOS but immediately disappears after selecting it

carrguy1
Apprentice

I've had this printer for a few years and the most trouble I've ever had with it when using AirPrint from iOS devices is that it's not listed as an AirPrint printer.  Turning off and on the printer usually fixes this.  Yesterday and today my wife and I suddenly can't use AirPrint.  The printer is listed as an AirPrint printer but when I select it it immediately disappears.  I can continue to select it but every time I do it continues to disappear.  This is happening on at least two iPhones, a 13 mini, and a 13 Pro Max.

I just updated the 13 Pro Max to iOS 17.2 thinking that might help but it didn't.  I've tried restarting the printer several times.  I've tried going through the network settings and reconnecting it to the network.  I've tried restarting the router.  None of this has worked.  If anyone else has encountered this or know what may fix it, I'd appreciate the information.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

carrguy1
Apprentice

I may have fixed my own problem so I leave it here for anyone else that may come across the same issue.  I guess the firmware on the printer was pretty old, version 04.03.  I updated the firmware, not the most user friendly process but not terrible I guess.  The documentation that came with the firmware update tool, from the Canon support site for my model, was a bit vague but gave me enough to be able to figure it out.  It worked over wifi without an issue.  Took about 5-10 minutes.  After the update the printer restarted on its own and the firmware is now version 22.07, quite a jump.  I tried using AirPrint on my iPhone 13 Pro Max and it worked fine.

The only thing I can think of is that I hadn't used AirPrint in a few weeks, possibly since I first updated to iOS 17.1.2 (I think).  Perhaps the older printer firmware no longer works with new iOS 17 versions as updating to 17.2 on my phone before trying to update the printer firmware didn't do anything to help.  Maybe the newest printer firmware is needed for the newer iOS versions.  Why else would a printer that has worked fine with the 04.03 version for years suddenly stop working and need an update?

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

carrguy1
Apprentice

I may have fixed my own problem so I leave it here for anyone else that may come across the same issue.  I guess the firmware on the printer was pretty old, version 04.03.  I updated the firmware, not the most user friendly process but not terrible I guess.  The documentation that came with the firmware update tool, from the Canon support site for my model, was a bit vague but gave me enough to be able to figure it out.  It worked over wifi without an issue.  Took about 5-10 minutes.  After the update the printer restarted on its own and the firmware is now version 22.07, quite a jump.  I tried using AirPrint on my iPhone 13 Pro Max and it worked fine.

The only thing I can think of is that I hadn't used AirPrint in a few weeks, possibly since I first updated to iOS 17.1.2 (I think).  Perhaps the older printer firmware no longer works with new iOS 17 versions as updating to 17.2 on my phone before trying to update the printer firmware didn't do anything to help.  Maybe the newest printer firmware is needed for the newer iOS versions.  Why else would a printer that has worked fine with the 04.03 version for years suddenly stop working and need an update?

 Holy sh*t man. I was having this issue for months and couldn’t figure out why. Didn’t realize firmware updates were that important. 

There are literally no threads on this and I thought I was going crazy because the printer worked on everyone’s phone but mine (iPhone 14 pro max).

It wasn’t until I looked up this thread I realized it was my printers firmware that needs to be updated.

FYI for anyone updating the firmware - just go to menu > system management settings > update firmware > via internet (that’s the easiest one imo without having to go on your computer) 

IMG_4195.jpeg

Thanks, you are the man!  We have an ipad and a phone that print properly and an ipad and a phone that locate the air printer but immediately disconnect just like you said. Your solution was easy and quick and all is good.  Happy Holidays and thanks again

Announcements