Canon Community Canon Community

Frequent Contributor

Question on how to use Lee ND Grad filters

Hello Experts,

I think I have a good graps of what to do with Netrual Density Filters, e.g. 6 and 10 stop filers. I have no clue on how to use those Graduated ones. Thus any suggestions and recommendations are most welcome.

My guess would be, to take a read of the foreground and the background scenes and compare the reading between the two, the differences called for the type of ND Grad filter to use. Is that accurate or completely bogus?

Thank you,

LV

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Question on how to use Lee ND Grad filters

That is right. Nowadays it is much much much easier to just take two shots at the two exposures and combine them in post. Or just use the HDR function on your camera.

Esteemed Contributor

Lee Filters has put out a number of YouTube tutorials on the topic.

In short, you meter the sky and note the exposure.  You meter the foreground and note that exposure.  E.g. suppose you determine that it's a 2 stop difference (rounded values are close enough) then you'd use the 2 stop filter.

The filters come in "hard edge" and "soft edge" versions.  The difference is simply how quickly it changes from clear to dark.

If your scene has an obvious line separating the bright & dark regions, usually a hard-edge filter works best.  But if there are lots of object from the foreground that protrude into the sky such that there's no clean line of separation... then usually the soft works best.

You slide the filter into the holder while looking through the camera to find the point where the tinted area best covers the bright areas (usually the sky).

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Highlighted
VIP

"My guess would be, to take a read of the foreground and the background scenes ..."

This is called "bracketing". It is and has always been the photographers best friend.

" Nowadays it is much much much easier to just take two shots at the two exposures and combine them in post. Or just use the HDR function on your camera."

Smiley Very Happy

I could have said that myself.  Filters for the most part have become obsolete.  Yeah, you can make a case in certain situations for ND's and in those cases they are great.  Also, polarizers still have a place but the rest can all be done in post. And, it can be done better!

If you don't bracket and/or you don't use HDR, you really need to learn how.  Plus if you are not up on how to use a good post editor, you really need to learn it also.  The best things about post editors is layers and masking.  These are powerful tools that have a much greater impact on a photo than any filter could ever manage.  Of course the top of the line is Photoshop and Lightroom. But they are subscription only which some folks don't like.  If you are of that mind set, you need to check out Photoshop Elements.

A lot less stuff for 2018 but still a lot of Canon stuff. Along with, a lot of other stuff.
Frequent Contributor

Noit sure if i am doing something wrong but I am seeing some unexpected results with the 3 stop soft ND grad. It tense to leave a drastic transition from dark to light more repaidly than i thought it would be. Was expect the soft edge is less visible than hard or medium edge!