Canon Community Canon Community

Honored Contributor

NEW: EF-S 35mm f/2.8 Macro IS STM

This lens sounds like it has potential to become a big hit for users of EF-S lenses.  It's wide.  It's fast.  It has IS.  Plus, it's a macro capable of life size reproduction.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/ef-s-35mm-f28-macro-is-stm-lens

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Respected Contributor

Re: NEW: EF-S 35mm f/2.8 Macro IS STM

[ Edited ]

35mm is about normal for EF-S. 35 * 1.6 = 56mm(eq)

And do you know how close to the lens 1:1 reproduction is going to be?

Honored Contributor

kvbarkley wrote:

35mm is about normal for EF-S. 35 * 1.6 = 56mm(eq)

And do you know how close to the lens 1:1 reproduction is going to be?

That I cannot say.  I noticed it was on the B&H web site.  The MFD is around 6 inches.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Respected Contributor

The 1:1 working distance from the front of the lens is 3" - it really needs those macro lights!

In comparison, the EF-S 60mm Macro has a working distance ot 5".

Honored Contributor

kvbarkley wrote:

The 1:1 working distance from the front of the lens is 3" - it really needs those macro lights!

In comparison, the EF-S 60mm Macro has a working distance ot 5".

I'm not looking at it as a macro lens as much as I'm looking at it as a fast, wide angle prime.  The EF 35mm f/2 IS USM costs about 50% more than this EF-S lens.  You raise a good poit about focusing distance.

I figured that you would need to be very close to the subject with a mere 35mm focal length to get 1:1.  That's the big advantage of the longer focal lengths, you can back away from the subject.  You cannot get that close to any and everything.

Respected Contributor

Again, 35mm on EF-S is not wide angle. it is a 56mm equivalent, or slightly longer than normal.

Honored Contributor

kvbarkley wrote:

Again, 35mm on EF-S is not wide angle. it is a 56mm equivalent, or slightly longer than normal.

Yes, I know that.  But, it is almost as close to a "normal" 50mm lens equivalent that you can get from Canon.

Honored Contributor

I'm just trying to figure out the "why"?  WIth all the lenses Canon could spend time on developing?  It is not fast for a 35mm.  You have to be too close for a macro. If you have to do something in this vein why not update the EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Lens.  Not interested.

A lot of Canon stuff. Along with, a lot of other stuff.
Respected Contributor

The only thing it brings to the party are the built in macro lights. I think this is actually the first foodie lens!

Esteemed Contributor

kvbarkley wrote:

The only thing it brings to the party are the built in macro lights. I think this is actually the first foodie lens!

But to continue Ernie's point, the reason the macro lights are needed is that you have to get so close, right?

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA