cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canoscan 35mm film guide

PMighetto
Apprentice

I found a user on a forum somewhere who needed a 35mm negative film guide for his Canoscan 9000F.  I'm in the same boat but the after marcket one is for Lab and manufacturing use and as such are about $100.00.

One respondent said they don't use the film guides any more because Viuscan doesn't require them.

I have a demo version of Viuscan which looks like the full up version except its useless because you can't save the scans as it states it imprints a water mark on the scan output.  Plus,  the only way I can see how to scan the film is to place the strip on the glass, shut the scanner lid, choose what looks like the Viuscan options for scanning film using the advanced options (only in the full up version) settings and hit "Preview" or "Scan".  In all cases I could try, Viewscan simply makes a picture of the strip of film and thats it.  No seperating of one image on the strip  from the next or anything.

I would rather spend the money on Viuscan then the film guide as long as the software does what I need to do.

Any help?

2 REPLIES 2

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Are you trying to use VueScan because you don't have the software for the Canoscan?

You can get the Canon software here: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/scanners/canoscan_series/canoscan_9000f#DriversAndSof...

You can also download an on-screen manual.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I have both.  My problem was I did not have the 35mm film guide and had heard you didn't need it if you use Viuscan.  After experimenting with both software, It turns out you can scan with both without the film guide.  The problem is you have to align the film manually which requires a bit of trial and error.

The Viuscan software lets you preview before you scan enabling you to see alignment errors so you can reposition the film and preview again. 

In either case it is much easier to use the film guide which I was able to optain.  So the problem resolved itself.

The Viuscan software has more settimgs bot it doesn't seem to automaticlly set other required options when you adjust one.  So you have to play around with it more to get things right .  The user guide and other documentation doesn't help much and the support is via email and is a bit shoudy.  Most of the other options I haven't needed so far.

The Canon software works fine but I find it a bit anoiying that you cant save the raw file as jpeg without changing something else in the image too.  Plus the dust correction, which I thought was done automatically in the hardware,  doesn't seem to do anything., at least for the 35mm film.  And I can't find anywhere in the software that allows you to turn it on. I need this.

Thanks for your response.

Announcements