cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera not recognixed by computer

ritagoldberg
Contributor

My EOS 70D is recognized immediately by my laptop, but after years of working fine with different versions of Windows it is no longer recognized by my desktop. The camera is listed among the devices, where it says that there is a driver problem. Trouble is, the camera does not need a driver in Windows 10. I installed the EOS utility update, but that did not help. I also uninstalled and reinstalled the camera, but that did not help either. In addition, I tried using the card in the reader slot on the desktop, but it was not recognized. I'd really appreciate suggestions about what my next step should be.

12 REPLIES 12

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

You can call Canon at 1-800-OK-CANON

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... what my next step should be."

You might try a new SD card.  There is no reason the SD by itself would not be recognized.  That tells me the problem is in the SD card or your computer.  Not the 70D.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

HighSierra
Enthusiast

I want to add my voice to this discussion as I have the same problem. First time I connect my 70D to newly built Win 10 system I get an issue with no drivers.

Capture70d2.JPG

Capture70d3.JPG

I don't think this is a Canon issue as my 70 is recognized fine by my Windows 7 laptop, and was recognized on my win 10 PC before I upgraded to Windows 10. It also worked on another Win 10 PC on an older build of Win 10.

I'm hoping someone on this forum has had this problem and resolved it..

I can read the Sd card from the camera in an SD card reader.

As the original poster with this problem, I want to tell you that I have still not resolved it. The camera is recorcognized by other windows 10 computers, but I've just about given up with the computer on which I originally had the problem.

Hopefully this will be resolved soon. Problem is who is at fault. My bet is Microsoft.

"The camera is recorcognized by other windows 10 computers, but I've just about given up with the computer on which I originally had the problem"

Can't be the camera or a global Microsoft problem then.

Sounds like it is some unique set of conditions in the computer. Look for differences.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I asked,

"There is no reason the SD by itself would not be recognized."

So does your PC recognize just the camera's SD card?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Some people seemed to have sucess by changing cables. (I'm just a messenger here Smiley Happy)

http://www.windows10forums.com/threads/usb-doesnt-recognize-camera-device.1942/

Do you have Windows 10 N installed? the "N" means "no media driver". You can download it from MS website.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

N is European Version of Windows. I'm in North America. I've used different cables. Including the one that came with the camera.

Also works on win 7 laptop.

Announcements