Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

EOS Digital Rebel XTi and Windows 10

I have an older camera, still works great... EOS Digital Rebel XTi.  We had to replace our computer... now have Windows 10.  I have loaded the Canon softward by disc... but it doesn't seem to recognize my camera like it used to.  Two issues - 1) When I plug in my camera, the computer doesn't give me the option to open via EOS Utility.  and 2) If I open EOS Utility from my start menu, I don't have the option to load my pictures (it is greyed out).

Please help.

Thanks,

Heather

Respected Contributor

Re: EOS Digital Rebel XTi and Windows 10

I normally use a card reader, so I think this is the first time I've ever plugged in my XTi despite owning it for what 8 years now.

It worked fine, with Windows 10, and my Lenovo Thinkpad. So, you probably want to call Canon technical support for some help.

I believe Canon has replaced Zoombrowser with ImageBrowser EX.

New Contributor

I have an Digital Rebel xti that is not recognized with windows 10 when I plug in to download pics. Help

Product Expert

Hi Heather1,

Thank you for posting.

The EOS Rebel XTi is not compatible with Windows 8, or later, so it won't be able to communicate with Canon Software on your computer. I regret the difficulty this causes.

To remedy this, I recommend use of a Compact Flash card reader to download your images. A card reader is an inexpensive device that allows you to download your images and video without connecting your camera to your computer. You remove the memory card from your camera and plug it into the card reader. The card reader plugs into a USB port, allowing your computer to access the pictures and videos on your memory card.

Card readers can be purchased at many photography and electronics stores. This device will allow you to take the memory card out of the camera and plug into your card reader and the card reader plugs into the computer's USB port.

You may be able to transfer images from the card reader with the Windows Photos App, included with Windows 10.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.