cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Digital Rebel XTi and Windows 10

Heather1
Apprentice

I have an older camera, still works great... EOS Digital Rebel XTi.  We had to replace our computer... now have Windows 10.  I have loaded the Canon softward by disc... but it doesn't seem to recognize my camera like it used to.  Two issues - 1) When I plug in my camera, the computer doesn't give me the option to open via EOS Utility.  and 2) If I open EOS Utility from my start menu, I don't have the option to load my pictures (it is greyed out).

Please help.

Thanks,

Heather

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Heather1,

Thank you for posting.

The EOS Rebel XTi is not compatible with Windows 8, or later, so it won't be able to communicate with Canon Software on your computer. I regret the difficulty this causes.

To remedy this, I recommend use of a Compact Flash card reader to download your images. A card reader is an inexpensive device that allows you to download your images and video without connecting your camera to your computer. You remove the memory card from your camera and plug it into the card reader. The card reader plugs into a USB port, allowing your computer to access the pictures and videos on your memory card.

Card readers can be purchased at many photography and electronics stores. This device will allow you to take the memory card out of the camera and plug into your card reader and the card reader plugs into the computer's USB port.

You may be able to transfer images from the card reader with the Windows Photos App, included with Windows 10.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

I normally use a card reader, so I think this is the first time I've ever plugged in my XTi despite owning it for what 8 years now.

It worked fine, with Windows 10, and my Lenovo Thinkpad. So, you probably want to call Canon technical support for some help.

I believe Canon has replaced Zoombrowser with ImageBrowser EX.

PatShaw
Apprentice

I have an Digital Rebel xti that is not recognized with windows 10 when I plug in to download pics. Help

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Heather1,

Thank you for posting.

The EOS Rebel XTi is not compatible with Windows 8, or later, so it won't be able to communicate with Canon Software on your computer. I regret the difficulty this causes.

To remedy this, I recommend use of a Compact Flash card reader to download your images. A card reader is an inexpensive device that allows you to download your images and video without connecting your camera to your computer. You remove the memory card from your camera and plug it into the card reader. The card reader plugs into a USB port, allowing your computer to access the pictures and videos on your memory card.

Card readers can be purchased at many photography and electronics stores. This device will allow you to take the memory card out of the camera and plug into your card reader and the card reader plugs into the computer's USB port.

You may be able to transfer images from the card reader with the Windows Photos App, included with Windows 10.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

interesting because sometimes it will download my photos on windows 10 and sometimes it won't! 

If I use the internal storage, how do I remove it?

Karen

Karen or Mom this is a 3 year old thread.  You might want to start your own.  In the mean time, what exactly are you tying to do? When you are using a pretty old camera with a current computer it is best to use a card reader. Some computers have card readers built in but you can buy one.  Don't get the cheapest one get a good one.  They are still not expensive. Your XTi uses CF type cards so make sure the reader accepts CF cards. The CF card sits inside a door on the camera. Handle it with care when removing it and reinserting it. 

ZCFDOOR.JPG

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

niemannjw
Apprentice

I know this ia an old post, but I just recently ran into this same problem. I tried running EOS Utility in different Windows compatibility modes with no success. I then went to the Canon support page and found the XSi was the oldest camera they had support for and downloaded the EOS Utility for that. Download and intall EOS Utility 2. When connecting your camera, it wont automatically open EOS Utility 2, but once you open the utility manually the camera will connenct and upload picters just like it use to. Haven't tried any other functionality of the utility yet. 

Hope this helps others in the future.

The XSi ulitity driver worked. Thank You 

lokee
Apprentice

I FIGURED IT OUT!!! Cat Very Happy

If you hit the menu button and go to the far right tab (tool icons with #2)

Change the last setting, COMMUNICATION, to Print/PTP

Once I switched this over, the camer showed up and I was able to copy the photos over using File Explorer.

Hope this was helpful!

Announcements