cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will frequently removing the lens on a mirrorless camera damage the camera/lens?

joshep1
Apprentice

I know this is a noob question, but I’m new to ILCs and I’m curious to know if the metal lens mount on the front of mirrorless RF cameras like the R8 will show signs of wear or scratching with extended use? Does it make a difference whether you use L glass with metal mounts or cheaper lenses with plastic mounts? Do people generally keep the lens attached to the camera when they are storing in the camera in a bag?

7 REPLIES 7

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Can't answer you question directly but I do keep a lens on my camera. Never know when those Kodak (Canon?) moments will show up.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

I wouldn't worry about it.  I would be much more concerned as to in what environment you are changing/removing lenses.  e.g. avoid changing lenses in environments where there's great risk of dust or water getting onto the sensor.

As long as you follow best practices when changing lenses, all will be well.

Finally, be sure to always line up the lens to the camera mount correctly.  If it's not aligned and you exert a high-enough force, you could indeed damage the mounts.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

justadude
Rising Star
Rising Star

I just looked at my oldest digital Canon camera body which is 13 years old.  Even though I have newer gear, this is my workhorse for infrared, and it gets a LOT of use, and a LOT of lens changes.  I don't see a single scratch on the lens mount.  While most of my lenses have metal mounts, a few have plastic.  No signs of wear.  I also looked at some of my SLR film bodies that are decades old.  No signs of scratches on the lens mount.

As far as keeping a lens on the body... If I have this in my large camera bag, I store it without the lens so the other bodies fit.  If I have it in one of my small grab and go bags, I store it with a lens.  Bottom line, it's a matter of convenience, so whatever works best for you.  There isn't a right way or wrong way, as long as you remember to put the caps on the body and/or lens when storing.

Best advice I can give is if you are out and about taking photos outdoors, step inside somewhere, or jump into your car to change the lens.  Yes, I've learned this the hard way years ago (Haha, live and learn, huh?)

Gary

Digital: Canon R6 Mk ll, R8, RP, 60D, various RF, EF, and Rokinon lenses
Film: (still using) Pentax Spotmatic, Pentax K1000, Pentax K2000, Miranda DR, Zenit 12XP, Kodak Retina Automatic II, Kodak Duaflex III, and various lenses

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Of course it is certainly possible to wear out the two mounts. They are made by man and anything made by the hand of man with eventuality fail. The reality is, I doubt you will live long enough to wear either one out.

In reality you want to change your lenses as that action helps to keep the lens/camera contacts clean. People that have lens contact issues generally leave the lens on all the time never changing it. So change away!

I personally change a lens whenever I need to. I don't care about where I am or the conditions. If I need to change a lens I do it. My circumstance is a bit different that most because I was in a no excuse condition. That said I don't do stupid thigs but a camera/lens is just a tool. If it doesn't get the job done for you it is worthless. Clean or dirty. Besides they can be serviced and cleaned. Of course a hobbyists or amateurs has different perspectives and may wish different options.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

As the others stated, the odds of you creating enough wear to the lens or mating camera mounts is extremely low.  Long before that time, you will were out the encoders for shutter speed/aperture, image review, battery contacts, etc.

Like Ernie, I change lenses when needed and it is often at an outdoor sporting event and I have never worried about doing so other than dropping a lens or body given that I am often using a three camera setup.

The thing to worry about is enjoying your camera and if you let worries about equipment wear cut into enjoyment of using it, that is a sad situation.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... other than dropping a lens or body ..."

Absolutely, way more important than changing the lens and or worrying about wearing out the mount.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

normadel
Authority
Authority

1. Yes, a plastic mount is subject to wear more than a metal mount, but it doesn't wear at all if it stays on the camera. And it would take a long long time to wear out the plastic mount to the noticeable point.

2. You don't have to have an "L" lens to have metal mounts. Look at the specs for any lens you like to see what kind of mount it has, if you can't tell from pictures.

Announcements