cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T7i won't focus

daximus
Apprentice

My T7i has started to jump around when focusing.  At first it was quick to focus, but now when focusing it jumps back and forth and never focuses.  Is this a camera problem or lens problem?

6 REPLIES 6

SamanthaW

Hi there, thanks for posting! 

One thing that might help the community narrow that down, is trying a second lens on your T7i. If the issue is the same, it's probably something with the camera, if the issue goes away, it might be the lens! 

I tried that, but the only other lens I have is tiny compared to the one I use all the time.  It does jump a bit, but not like the large one.

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum.

To assist us it would be helpful to know what lens you are using.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I’m using an old Sigma 150-500

Have you tried another lens and if so, how does that behave?

Also, please check the AF selection switch on the Sigma 150-500: what settings are selected please?

Tronhard_0-1705974353177.png
If the focus limiter switch is not set to FULL, but is set at one of the other, particularly 10m to infinity (sideways 8), it is possible that the lens is not configured for the distance at which you are focusing.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

John_Q
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello daximus,

You may want to try cleaning the contacts on the camera and lens especially, with a clean, dry, microfiber cloth to ensure good communication between them. Prior to testing, I would also suggest removing any lens filter that may be attached to the front of the lens since certain lens filters may sometimes interfere with the camera's auto focusing system. You may try a different lens on the camera if the issue persists. This will help determine if it's a camera or lens issue. These cameras do operate with a 2-step shutter process where you press the shutter button half-way to focus and once focused, you continue to press the shutter in completely to take the shot. When pressed half-way, you should get a red dot to blink inside the AF point achieving focus, a beep will sound and the focus indicator in the bottom right corner of the viewfinder will light up. We would recommend testing this in a well-lit environment or possibly outside during the daytime when there is a lot of light available.

Announcements