cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T3i not able to communicate with lens

romlein
Apprentice

My several-years-old T3i is unable to communicate with any lens I attatch to it. This problem started, then went away a week or so later, and now a week later is back. Lens won't autofocus, and aperture box reads "00" and can't be changed.

I've tried:

• Firmware (up to date)
  • Resetting to factory defaults
  • Cleaning both lens and body contacts with alcohol and swab, and
  • (against a few recommendations) the rubber eraser trick.

No luck.

5 REPLIES 5

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Do you have access to a second lens? Could be camera or ribbon cable inside lens. Need to have a diffeent camera or lens to test which is malfunctioning.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Hi John,
Yeah I've tested it with three lenses now, so I'm fairly confident the problem is with the body.

You ned Canon service as your T3i is faulty.  Maybe a good time to upgrade?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@romlein wrote:

• (against [Canon's] recommendation) the rubber eraser [mistake].

Canon EOS Error Messages: An explanation and understanding

'Warning:
do not clean lens contacts on either a Canon lens or the camera body with an eraser!
It’s incredibly easy to rub off the gold plating on these contacts, and end up with data communication problems, even if that wasn’t the original source of the problem! It’s obviously a good idea to clean the contacts if a lens communication error is reported, but our strong recommendation is to use a soft, clean cloth, perhaps moistened with isopropyl alcohol if you feel the contacts are smudged with fingerprint oil or similar debris and really need a cleaning agent. Again, do not use anything abrasive, and to repeat: do not use an eraser!' ~ Canon

" It’s obviously a good idea to clean the contacts if a lens communication error is reported, ..."

I can't remember this ever working.  Maybe it does but I have not seen it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements