cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shutter speed limitation on Canon R8

DARROLLWRIGHT
Apprentice

I recently purchased an R8. However, when I use the shutter priority or manual mode I can only dial the shutter speed down to 1/50 second. Also the steps going up and down are very unusual and increases or decreases in 100th of a second increments. Does anyone have any ideas of what the problem is and how to remedy it?

Many thanks.

4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

Check your custom functions for shutter speed range C.Fn2.  You may have it limited in that setting. Download the User Manual to read up on how to use your camera.

https://cam.start.canon/en/C013/manual/c013.pdf 

Screenshot 2023-07-17 113158.jpg

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I think there are two settings in play here.  

One, does the camera have High Speed Flicker Detection?  It can create some odd looking shutter speeds.  It sounds like it might be enabled.

Two, is the camera set for Continuous Drive Shooting Mode?  This high fps frame rates are probably not compatible with “slow” shutter speeds.  Shutter speed must always be faster than the frame rate.  Confirm this by switching to Single Shot Shooting Mode and see if the shutter speed limitations go away.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Anonymous
Not applicable

The shutter speed increments are also a Custom Function item in the menus. 

Screenshot 2023-07-17 144047.jpg

fluvin
Apprentice

For sure it's (was, it's been a while) the anti flicker setting. Disable it:  Menu, camera icon, number 3, HF anti-flicker shooting = OFF

Announcements