cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R6 II help please: unable to set Auto ISO option by a dial

jernej
Contributor

Dear Canon Community members,

I'd very much appreciate an advice/explanation in the following matter.

I have a brand new R6 mk II, and while it impresses me with fantastic IQ, AF, features and ergonomics, the following issue frustrates me quit a bit. It's about my inability to set seamlessly set ISO speed to a desired value and back to AUTO by using one of the dedicated dials.

In order to set ISO speed I presently use both the quick control dial 2 (the one on the top of the body accompanied by the power switch -- this is the camera default) and the lens control ring (in fact I have an RF/EF adapter containing the control ring). The ISO function of both these dials is global, meaning that they are operational in any camera mode that supports changing of the ISO speed by user. The problem depicted below appears to be identical with both dials.

In short, I cannot always set ISO speed to Auto by either dial. It looks like my inability to do so emerges when the ISO information -- as visible in the viewfinder and also on the back LCD -- contains both the actual ISO value as well as the very small "AUTO" mark just at the left of ISO value. When the ISO information looks like this and when I apply the ISO dial, the ISO value will change and the "AUTO" sign will turn to grey. By turning the dial, I will be able to set ISO to any specific value, **but not** to "AUTO". The only way to get back to "AUTO" is either by (i) touching the ISO area in the bottom-right on rear LCD, which allows me to select the "AUTO" option, or (ii) using buttons, digging into the shooting menu --> ISO speed settings, and setting ISO speed to "Auto" there. In comparison with simply turning the dial, both these actions are extremely annoying and time-consuming, almost always bringing me into the risk of missing a shot.

Now, in contrast to that, the ISO information both in the VF as well as on LCD can only contain the quite large ISO sign "AUTO" (with no actual value displayed) -- in which case I can set the ISO speed not only to whatever value by the corresponding dial, but I can also get back to "AUTO" with the dial; no neccessity of using the sophisticated procedures above.

I have to do some further research on this, but it looks like the latter of the two displays (AUTO ISO achievable by dial) changes to the former (AUTO iso not achievable by dial) when metering starts. Then, to get back to the latter view, I have to wait for about 10 seconds in order to restore AUTO ISO option/capability to fully tune it by dial.

Otherwise, my default setting for ISO is to "Auto" in the main menu, and I'm quite happy by this function -- but it happens occasionally that I want to temporarily enforce a selected ISO value and get back to AUTO, all seamlessly during shooting, possibly without removing my eye from the VF.

Am I doing something wrong or is this an inevitable complication? Your advice will be highly appreciated.

All the best,
Jernej

5 REPLIES 5

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

When setting ISO via one of the dials, isn't AUTO one of the available values along with the entire range of specific ISO values?

The premise is that you could then define whatever range you need for AUTO ISO.  Then, if the shot calls for, set AUTO for the ISO value.  Otherwise set to whatever specific value you need.

Or, are you looking for a one-touch operation to toggle between AUTO and last-used manually-select ISO value?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Or, are you looking for a one-touch operation to toggle between AUTO and last-used manually-select ISO value?

This matches better what I'm looking for. One touch switch to desired ISO when needed. And then back as quickly as possible -- in any case by avoiding removing my sight from VF, let alone digging through menus.

In fact these dials can easily be moved non-intentionally, therefore one needs a fast way to get the original setting back (if this cannot be done, it is better to disable the ISO dials).

Thanks,

Jernej

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

By turning the dial, I will be able to set ISO to any specific value, **but not** to "AUTO". “

What shooting mode(s) are you using?  I recommend that you reset the camera back to factory defaults.  You could have a perfect storm of settings that prevents you from dialing in AUTO.

Highlight Tone Priority prevents setting ISO below 200, but it does not seem to impact the operation of QCD2, Quick Control Dial 2, when it is enabled.  

Safety Shift can override your exposure settings.  But this should only affect Tv and Av when you are changing settings prior to a shot.  Safest Shift should have no impact on setting ISO to AUTO.

There are options to limit the range of ISO values that can be set manually or automatically by the camera when it is set to ISO AUTO.  Again, these should not have any impact on dialing in ISO to AUTO.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jernej
Contributor

Hi there,

It looks like I've found a solution in these threads -- apparently pressing the M.Fn button (or any button dedicated to the "dial" function) restores Auto ISO instantly. May be useful for those interested. Otherwise thanks guys for your suggestions.

Jernej

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64333692

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64340074

@jernej wrote:

Hi there,

It looks like I've found a solution in these threads -- apparently pressing the M.Fn button (or any button dedicated to the "dial" function) restores Auto ISO instantly. May be useful for those interested. Otherwise thanks guys for your suggestions.

Jernej

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64333692

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64340074

I may have been a bit confused and misunderstood your issue.  Judging from your links you were looking for a way to restore the display to “ISO AUTO”, instead of “ISO ###”.  This type of issue sounds familiar.  Are you using BBF?

The only time you will see “ISO AUTO” is when the metering system is idle.  

In other words, when you are pressing BBF [then] both the autofocus and metering systems become active.  And, the ISO display switches from “ISO AUTO” to “ISO ###”.  Pressing the [Shutter] also invokes [Metering Start].

For as long as you maintain the BBF or [Shutter] button pressed, the ISO display will continue to display a value.  Turning the controls that adjust ISO are not able to cause the display to change to AUTO for as long as the metering system is active.

Releasing the BBF and [Shutter] buttons will allow the Metering Timer to expire, which usually takes 4-8 seconds.  If you have made adjustments to ISO while the metering system as active, then the ISO readout should display whatever new setting you have dialed in.

I point this out for one reason.  There is a “hands free” solution to the problem of restoring “ISO AUTO” if you made changes.  Use a custom shooting mode with updates disabled.  If you have “ISO AUTO” defined as the default setting for the custom shooting mode, then AUTO will be automatically restored just as soon as the metering timer expires.

[EDIT] I forgot to add one last thing.  Pressing the [M-Fn] button probably does nothing more than simply turn off metering system to display its menu.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements