cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R vs D series jpeg quality

Chube
Contributor

You might have found similar question from me around the internet aince Im going crazy over it.. 

Planning to go back to canon after leaving a 60D and trying other brands.. 

I shoot often auto mode and always jpg (please avoid lecturing me about raw). 

Now after the 60D i found the new mirrorless Ive tried produce more soft/neutral/flat JPGs (probably because serious photographers will not use them anyway). 

Now those of you who have upgraded from Canon D to Canon R.. do you HONESTLY feel you still get those pleasing punchy sooc jpgs from the mirrorless? Or should I go back to some late dslr (maybe t8i to keep it small). 

I know I would miss the latest features but this quest is about finding the loved older jpg quality

22 REPLIES 22

Thank you for correcting me about the D60/60D thing.

From some answers it seems some think I want to use profiles on a 60D, but as said I don't have it anymore. 

So I guess I will try some R with the "standard" and hope for the best.

To be honest, I am still not clear as to whether you have had the D60 or the 60D.   I have still got one of the D60's and used to own 3x60D's so I hope I can help, based on experience.
You have the ability to customize your own JPG settings in the menu system to create your own style or emulate the JPG look you are seeking.  I suggest starting from Standard and using a test chart or an image for which you have an  existent photo as a exemplar, play with the sliders, and save it as you own custom configuration.
Check out this video from Adorama: while this is done on a 5DIII, the process is pretty much the same as later models.

The following is an overall tutorial from Michael Mavin on the EOS R, including picture styles.  It's an overall great reference: Picture Styles start at timestamp: 01:09:03

I hope this will be of some assistance.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Chube
Contributor

It's becoming a bit ridiculous:

I don't have a 60D, neither a D60

I'm not going to buy a 60D , neither a D60.

Announcements