cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R vs D series jpeg quality

Chube
Contributor

You might have found similar question from me around the internet aince Im going crazy over it.. 

Planning to go back to canon after leaving a 60D and trying other brands.. 

I shoot often auto mode and always jpg (please avoid lecturing me about raw). 

Now after the 60D i found the new mirrorless Ive tried produce more soft/neutral/flat JPGs (probably because serious photographers will not use them anyway). 

Now those of you who have upgraded from Canon D to Canon R.. do you HONESTLY feel you still get those pleasing punchy sooc jpgs from the mirrorless? Or should I go back to some late dslr (maybe t8i to keep it small). 

I know I would miss the latest features but this quest is about finding the loved older jpg quality

22 REPLIES 22

I don't think so. That is about applying picture styles to cameras that did not have them originally.

Chube
Contributor

Mmm how would I apply them to cameras which don't have the feature?

The table explicitly refers to newer cameras and how to achieve the older look:
If you want to produce colors approximating those of earlier EOS DIGITAL cameras, use the table below to select the right Picture Style.

@Chube wrote:

Mmm how would I apply them to cameras which don't have the feature?

The table explicitly refers to newer cameras and how to achieve the older look:
If you want to produce colors approximating those of earlier EOS DIGITAL cameras, use the table below to select the right Picture Style.

So far as I can guess, your 60D was not that old. Using the "Standard" picture style in a newer camera is likely to match the standard picture style in the 60D. Those very old cameras did not have the picture style feature.

According to https://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/9/0300004019/03/eos60d-im3-c-en.pdf page 51, Standard was the default style in the EOS 60D.

---
https://www.rsok.com/~jrm/

Those earlier EOS cameras did not have picture styles.

Read the text on the side of the chart:

Untitled.jpg

To get the same effect in newer cameras you use the same picture style.

Yes that's the point, you use the new picture style on new cameras to get the same look you had in the old ones. 

And they tell you how to do it: set to standard, lower contrast.. and so on

But we are talking *old* cameras, the 60D does not belong in that list. You are moving the goalposts.

The EOS D60 is in that chart not the EOS 60D there is an 8 year gap between when those cameras were released. Also the EOS D60 is INCOMPATIBLE with EF-S lenses those wouldn't be released until the release of the first Digital Rebel/ EOS Kiss Digital/ EOS 300D camera.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Chube
Contributor

I don't think you are rading the table correctly;

1st column is "older cameras with no picture style" (from 1d to 60d)

from 3rd column -> : settings you need to achieve the look of the camera in column 1 with a new camera.

It seems pretty straightforward

The first column doesn't mention the EOS 60D. It mentions the D60. Those are 2 different cameras. The EOS D60 came out in 2002. The EOS 60D came out in 2010. 

The 60D supports the following PictureStyles natively:

Stephen_0-1715013752245.png

The EOS D60 does NOT support ANY Picture Styles in-camera (natively), therefore you would have to apply the Picture Styles in software DPP to achieve the vibrant look. This is for the much older EOS D60, NOT the EOS 60D. 

You appear to be confusing the EOS D60 (2002) With the EOS 60D (2010) these are 2 completely different cameras. Also the EOS D60 is INCOMPATIBLE with EF-S lenses those didn't appear until the release of the first Digital Rebel/ EOS 300D/ EOS Kiss Digital camera in 2003. Also the EOS D30 and EOS D60 are pre Digic cameras. The EOS 60D has a Digic processor. The EOS 10D brought the original Digic processor to EOS Digital cameras. The 10D just like the EOS D60 EOS D30 are INCOMPATIBLE with later APS-C designed EF-S lenses they physically won't mount. Even though these cameras have an APS-C sized sensor in them.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D
Announcements