cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Photography - Camera Recommendations

AssBucket
Apprentice

I’m new to photography and don’t have a camera of my own yet, so I’m wondering what camera is good to start off with as a beginner. I’d appreciate any tips because I don’t know anything else about cameras/photography besides the Aperture, Shutter Speed, and ISO. 

5 REPLIES 5

March411
Rising Star

Unusual screen name, welcome to the site AB.

Do you have a budget in mind? Also, what will your primary use for the camera, it will help focus on lenses to meet your plan.

Wildlife, portrait, landscape.....etc will vary on lens requirements to some degree.

Be a different person on the web, be kind, respectful and most of all be helpful!

90D ~ 5D Mark IV ~ R6 Mark II ~ R50 and way to many EF lenses
Photoshop and Topaz Suite for image processing
http://commonhangout.com/piwigo/

Hello thanks for replying, 

Yeah my username is unusual😅 

My budget right now is about $1500, I’d like to capture photos of wildlife and macro photos, so I’m hoping for a camera capable of using different lenses.  

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Are you looking for a point-and-shoot camera or one that is capable of working with different lenses?  Also, what is your budget?

And, what types of images do you plan to capture? e.g. wildlife, portraits, sports, landscapes, etc.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Hello, thanks for replying 

I’m looking for a camera that can work with different lenses, I’d like to capture photos of wildlife and macro photos (insects, flowers). My budget is pretty tight at the moment so about $1500, this is probably not enough for any good equipment so I’ll save up if I need to. 

Dear Bucket,

( I'm just going to call you Bucket 😁 )

$1.500 is plenty enough to buy some good equipment, so you can rest easy on that.

In your case, I think the best place to start would be to decide if you want a DSLR ( a camera that has a mirror in it, or a mirrorless. Read 2 or 3 articles on DSLR vs. mirrorless to see which approach might feel most comfortable to you. It looks like mirrorless is going to be the wave of the future, if you want to plan for future expansion; but there are plenty of people out there who still like the DSLR approach, and there is still plenty of camera bodies and lenses out there and will be for years to come.

Once you make that basic decision, then you can start narrowing down your search for features and lenses unique to that specific milieu.

Remember too that you will have to set aside some money for some basic accessories like a memory card. an extra battery, a tripod, etc. In most instances, when you buy a camera, the memory card is extra.

After you make that basic decision, come back and people can help you start narrowing down your search.

If at all possible, visit a place that sells cameras - a Walmart or a Best Buy or Target, or even a camera store. Don't go there with the intention to buy anything. Just pick up a couple of cameras and hold them in your hands See what feels comfortable. Pay attention to the weight. Try to visualize what it might feel like to hold that camera up to eye level or face level for seconds at a time.

Steve Thomas

Announcements