cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Canon EOS R5, accidentaly shutdown LCD screen...

WideAspect
Enthusiast

Just traded in my Canon 5D Mark IV yesterday for my new R5. Later in the day, as I was exploring the Menu tabs and pages, I somehow selected an option that turned off the LCD screen.

No amount of button pushing, including Menu button has restored the screen. The manual is not much help, as I am not sure what I engaged or disabled, I have no way to look up that particular function.

Spent some time on the Web but for the same reasons mentioned above, I cannot form a useful search that leads to an answer.

In less than a day and I managed to disable the camera, I'm off to a great start!

Thanks in advance.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@WideAspect wrote:

I'm glad there is an another option for viewing but I'm not sure how that solves the issue of the LCD being inactive and that I am now unable, with my current limited knowledge, to bring the LCD back to life.

Press the menu button while looking through the Viewfinder (EVF). You will have to use the Viewfinder display to navigate to the Wrench 3 menu item. See page 787 of your advanced users manual. You can then set things up so your rear display will function as you want.

R5 Screen Selection-1.jpg

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

View solution in original post

Whew, that fixed it. Did not know that you could hold the Menu button down and see it in EVF. LCD has been restored.

Also, thanks to johnrmoyer, for his reply

I knew what to do after I could see the menu.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

Try pushing the "INFO" button a few times to toggle through the various rear screens.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

Tried the Info button, nothing, the screen is still dark.

This particular problem is a real problem, the very place you need to gain information to solve a problem is unavailable.

@WideAspect wrote:

Tried the Info button, nothing, the screen is still dark.

This particular problem is a real problem, the very place you need to gain information to solve a problem is unavailable.

So, you can't see the menu in the EVF?

Newton

johnrmoyer
Mentor
Mentor

One option is to never use the screen, but only the viewfinder.

https://cam.start.canon/en/C003/manual/html/UG-07_Set-up_0180.html

• AUTO1: Auto 1 ( : only screen) Always use the screen for display when it is open. Use the screen for display when it is closed and facing you, and switch to the viewfinder when you look through it.

• AUTO2: Auto 2 ( : auto switching) Use the screen for display when it is closed and facing you, and switch to viewfinder display when you look through the viewfinder.

• : Viewfinder Always use the viewfinder for display.

• : Screen Always use the screen for display when it is open.

---
https://www.rsok.com/~jrm/

@johnrmoyer wrote:

• AUTO1: Auto 1 ( : only screen) Always use the screen for display when it is open. Use the screen for display when it is closed and facing you, and switch to the viewfinder when you look through it.

• AUTO2: Auto 2 ( : auto switching) Use the screen for display when it is closed and facing you, and switch to viewfinder display when you look through the viewfinder.

^THIS^

In theory, you should be able to do everything in the EVF that you can see on the rear LCD. I think you should be able to see the menu system in the EVF.  My R6 mark II allows this.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@johnrmoyer wrote:

^THIS^

In theory, you should be able to do everything in the EVF that you can see on the rear LCD. I think you should be able to see the menu system in the EVF.  My R6 mark II allows this.

I often use the menu in the viewfinder on my EOS R5. You are correct.

---
https://www.rsok.com/~jrm/

I'm glad there is an another option for viewing but I'm not sure how that solves the issue of the LCD being inactive and that I am now unable, with my current limited knowledge, to bring the LCD back to life.

@WideAspect wrote:

Press the menu button while looking through the Viewfinder (EVF). You will have to use the Viewfinder display to navigate to the Wrench 3 menu item. See page 787 of your advanced users manual. You can then set things up so your rear display will function as you want.

R5 Screen Selection-1.jpg

Newton

Whew, that fixed it. Did not know that you could hold the Menu button down and see it in EVF. LCD has been restored.

Also, thanks to johnrmoyer, for his reply

I knew what to do after I could see the menu.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements