cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to recover photos from EOS 1300D. Don’t know where they went!

Mollybrenwald
Apprentice

Hi all, 

we’ve just come back from South Africa on safari and had taken some amazing photos on our canon EOS 1300D and Sandisk extreme 64GB memory card. We had uploaded some halfway through the holiday onto our phones and all was good. We then come home to download the rest from yesterday and the day before and find that they are not there, on the camera or on the SD card. We know for sure we took them and we even scrolled through them yesterday/when we took them. We know for sure no one deleted them and the memory card is not locked so we have no idea what went wrong. We are complete beginners so have no idea what to do from here. Any help would be appreciated. These photos mean a lot to us and we really don’t want to loose them. 

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

jaewoosong
Rising Star
Rising Star

If you still have your original packaging for the sandisk extreme, all sandisk exteme cards come rescueplus deluxe recovery software.  The license code is sandwiched between the cardboard packaging but often most people throw it away.  If you don't have that, you can get a 128GB extreme pro card with recovery software license code for $21 (and get a nice backup card to shoot with).  My daughter just the other day accidentally formatted her SD card in her canon M200 and I was able to recover her pictures from the formatted card (not 100% but some images were corrupted but got most of it).  I've used the same software to recover images from sd card from 2 uncles that also formatted their SD cards.  This would be the cheapest way to recover images off your SD card.  Highly recommend getting a good card reader (sandisk/lexar/prograde) to copy the data from the sd card to your computer.

Takeaway: if you buy sandisk extreme cards, always look for the rescuepro deluxe license and keep it in safe place for when you need it (activates for only 2 years i think).

-jaewoo

Rebel XT, 7D, 5Dm3, 5DmIV (current), EOS R, EOS R5 (current)

FACT:  The EOS xxxxD camera bodies do [NOT] work with SDXC memory cards.  I do not know why, but they seem to always cause issues with this line of camera bodies.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

You might be able to use recovery software to recover the missing files.  I fear they may be gone forever, however.  Was this a full size memory card?  Have you tried a card reader?

The xxxxD bodies do not work well with SDXC memory cards, 64GB or larger.  I do not know why.  All I know is that they almost always cause issues.  I do not think your card has failed, but I do not recommend ever using it again in your 1300D camera body.  Most users experience camera lockups and freezes with SDXC cards.

For future use, I recommend only using SDHC memory cars, 32GB or smaller.  Be sure to low level format the card in the camera body PRIOR to first use.  Never use any of the micro-SD memory cards that require the use of a plastic adapter.  The micro-SD cards will always fail.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@Mollybrenwald wrote:

Hi all, 

we’ve just come back from South Africa on safari and had taken some amazing photos on our canon EOS 1300D and Sandisk extreme 64GB memory card. We had uploaded some halfway through the holiday onto our phones and all was good. We then come home to download the rest from yesterday and the day before and find that they are not there, on the camera or on the SD card. We know for sure we took them and we even scrolled through them yesterday/when we took them. We know for sure no one deleted them and the memory card is not locked so we have no idea what went wrong. We are complete beginners so have no idea what to do from here. Any help would be appreciated. These photos mean a lot to us and we really don’t want to loose them. 

Thanks!

When you transfer images to an iPhone they get marked as "already transferred". That is so that the next time you connect only the new images are downloaded.

Depending on the method you are using to download that tag may be "blocking" those images.

You stated they are not on the SD card. How did you determine that?

The best was to check for what is on a card is to use a card reader and access the DCIM folder and then a folder labeled 100EOS or something similar, based on exactly how your camera creates folders.

Screenshot 2024-01-06 092904.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Peter
Authority
Authority

Write protect the SD card and recover the files if you can't find them on the card at all.

As already written SanDisk has recovery software bundled when you buy a new card. There is also Photorec that is free and open source.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements