cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My eos 750d isn't focusing or capturing photos when I use the view finder but captures in live view

Zendino
Contributor

My eos 750d isn't focusing or capturing photos when I use the view finder but captures in live view. 

I've used it quite dilegently for the past few days as I've only had it a week, and after shooting some video in the cold (the only thing I can imagine that could have damaged it) I took it inside, removed the SD card and ediited my video, after 24 hours of not being used the camera was picked up again for another shoot, only this time it was for a photoshoot. Its at this point I recognised that the auto focus and image captruring only works when in live view as the camera would not capture anything when i looked through the view finder. 

I have removed the battery and put it back in, cleared setting and cleard the SD card what else could the problem be?

8 REPLIES 8

@Zendino wrote:

My eos 750d isn't focusing or capturing photos when I use the view finder but captures in live view. 

I've used it quite dilegently for the past few days as I've only had it a week, and after shooting some video in the cold (the only thing I can imagine that could have damaged it) I took it inside, removed the SD card and ediited my video, after 24 hours of not being used the camera was picked up again for another shoot, only this time it was for a photoshoot. Its at this point I recognised that the auto focus and image captruring only works when in live view as the camera would not capture anything when i looked through the view finder. 

I have removed the battery and put it back in, cleared setting and cleard the SD card what else could the problem be?

What exactly do you mean by "would not capture anything"? Do you see the scene when you look through the viewfinder? Does the shutter click without recording an image? Does the focusing motor even try to focus? Does it work if you use manual focus? There may be an option to not take a picture if focus can't be achieved. Does it work if you turn that option off? What lens were you using? When you successfully used live view, were you the same distance from the subject as when you unsuccessfully tried to use the viewfinder?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

1) I do see the scene through the view finder.
2) the shutter does not click I get no feed back from the camera as though it is off. it does not take the photo.
3) No, the focusing motor does nothing unless it is in live view.
4) Yes. Manual Focus works though the view finder, as the T6i has full-time manual focus/
5) It still does not work when I choose those options - I presume you mean the AI servo menu?
6) Yes exactly the same conditions as when I was using the view finder, when i use the live view.

@Zendino wrote:

1) I do see the scene through the view finder.
2) the shutter does not click I get no feed back from the camera as though it is off. it does not take the photo.
3) No, the focusing motor does nothing unless it is in live view.
4) Yes. Manual Focus works though the view finder, as the T6i has full-time manual focus/
5) It still does not work when I choose those options - I presume you mean the AI servo menu?
6) Yes exactly the same conditions as when I was using the view finder, when i use the live view.

The liveview focusing mechanism and the viewfinder focusing mechanism are two separate functions.  The liveview relies on contrast and the other on phase detection (PDAF).  That explains why it's possible that one works but not the other.

There are a couple of possibilities that I can think of:

1. The phase detection autofocus mechanism is broken (unlucky scenario)

2. You have the autofocus point moved to one side and not to the middle.  Try full auto mode and see if it would focus (full auto uses all points).

The easy thing to do is to to reset to factory default just in case something is inadvertenly set.  Good luck

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

how could one have broken the PDAF as the camera has been well looked after for the past few days when being used? Does the problem lie with the Body or lens of the camera also?

@Zendino wrote:
how could one have broken the PDAF as the camera has been well looked after for the past few days when being used? Does the problem lie with the Body or lens of the camera also?

Probably the body, since only one of the two AF mechanisms is affected.

One other point, although it's probably not relevant to the current issue: When you say that "the T6i has full-time manual focus", that's not really true. Full-time manual focus is a function of the lens, not the body. And some low-end Canon lenses can be damaged, or their AF motors jammed, if one tries to focus them manually while they're in AF mode.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Oh! okay thank you

@Zendino wrote:

Who says you broke it :).  Things break on their own all the time. This would most likely on the body but you never know until you eliminate the possibilities.  When you say liveview works...have you verified that the picture is in focus?  If it is then it's probably not the lens.  Otherwise maybe.  The camera will not let you take the picture using the viewfinder if the picture is not in PDAF focus.  I don't think there is a similar restriction on live view.

I still think there's a real opportunity that the camera or lens got stuck in some weird mode.  If I were you, I would try the following in order (it doesn't hurt to try :)).

1. Make sure switch on the lens says AF and not MF and if there are multiple settings (full and some distance), make sure it's on Full

2. Remove the lens from the body then reinstall it, verify that it clicked in -properly seated.

3.Make sure the camera/video switch is on the Camera side

4. Switch over to Full Auto mode (the green). Turn off live view and focus on something contrasty. Does it work? No?

5. Via the menu, reset the camera to default settings then try 4 again.  Does it work? No?

6. Try another lens - verify step 1.  to eliminate possibility that lens AF mechanism might be broken.  Does it work? No?

7. Remove the battery.  Try the shutter button several times to bleed off residual charge.  Leave the camera alone for a day or more.  Reinstall the battery and try 4 again.  Does it work? No?

7, Send it in for service.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

thanks man will give it a go, never hurts try for sure
Announcements