cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Please! Totally new to this world and need help - Camera recommendations

trisha3121
Contributor

Help me please.  I have a 14-year old nephew who has learning deficiencies (possibly on the autism spectrum)  so whenever he shows interest in something I really want to help him out.  He's obsessed with puppets and asked me to buy him a camera to film his puppets.  He found something on the internet that recommended Canon M5 or Canon M50.  I know absolutely nothing about cameras so have tried to acquire more information.  (I know it may sound stupid, but I am going to buy him a new one for Christmas.)  

So I look on Amazon and find these two:   

1. Canon EOS M50 15-45mm Mirrorless Digital Camera (Black) with Canon EOS Camera Gadget Bag, 64GB SD Card, Flexible 12" Spider Tripod, and Battery & Charger Pack Bundle 

SamanthaW_1-1697910858025.png

2. Canon EOS M50 Mark II Content Creator Kit, Mirrorless 4K Vlogging Camera Kit Includes EF-M 15-45mm Lens, Tripod Grip, Stereo Microphone Black

SamanthaW_0-1697910794729.png

Not understanding a thing about either, could someone please recommend?  If there's another version of the M50 that you think is better, please let me know that also.  I definitely will shop around for the best price, no matter what I get him.  He does put up stuff on YouTube so it's possible he might put videos on YouTube.  Not sure if that makes any difference.

Thank you so much in advance for any help and I apologize if I sound really stupid and/or uninformed.  I didn't know how else to phrase what I'm trying to ask.

[Replaced links with images to facilitate conversation]

13 REPLIES 13

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

I don't think this inquiry sounds stupid but reflects a genuine concern to help your nephew. This might lead to other areas of video and still photography.Would it be possible to share some things here?

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

I thank you very much for your help! As long as you think these are good for beginners and especially for videoing, I will definitely look into them!!  🙂

John, I want to make sure I'm understanding you.  Are you saying I could look at these in place of the M50, or are these things to look at once he's into photography and videoing?  Thank you!

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Canon's M-series line (which includes the M50) will not be a good long-term investment.

The future of Canon's cameras is the newer R-series line.

First thing to note though is when doing a purchase, only purchase from Authorized Canon Resellers.  I note that the first product you listed earlier is sold by "BH 52 Innovations" which is not an authorized reseller.   If you stick with Amazon to do the purchases, double-check that the "Sold by" vendor is an authorized reseller.

The newer R-series cameras also have creator kits available such as:

• Canon EOS R50 Content Creator Kit (normally $1,000 but now at $850 at least at B&H Photo)

The most inexpensive in the R-series is the EOS R100.  That camera along with an 18-45mm lens (typical lens that creator kits come with) sells for $550.   It would not have a microphone though or other accessories found in creator kits.

One other possibility...

If your nephew only ever plans to record video, then looking at a camcorder may make more sense since they are dedicated video equipment.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Thank you Ricky.  I asked him and he's only interested in filming puppets and not re-recording.

trisha3121,

I guess I would have two questions for you:

1) Does your nephew know anything about cameras - apertures and shutter speeds and lenses, etc.?

If not, maybe a Point and Shoot approach might be the way to go. The lens is part of the body. Take a look at the  Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark III as an example.

2) will your nephew be manipulating the puppets himself?

If so, he'll probably be needing a tripod (maybe a tabletop version?) to mount it on while he does his puppet work.

Steve Thomas

Steve, my nephew knows NOTHING at all about cameras.  I don't think he has ever held a camera.  All he knows about taking pictures or videoing he does on his cell phone.  I don't know anything about cameras either!  But this is what I need to think about.  His whole purpose for wanting a camera is to video his puppets.  Is that Powershot camera good for videoing?  If so, it might be the way to go!

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Forgot to add... what is your budget for purchase a camera or camcorder?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

I don't have a particular budget.  However if I can get him a camera that does what he wants it to (record puppets) and get it for under $500 I'm there!  I want to spend as little as I have to, getting him a quality beginner's camera with a good record function.

Unfortunately, he saw this video on YouTube.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z92Oq8WVHLo  He's a very literal kid, so if I get him something that doesn't at least resemble those cameras, he'll be convinced it's not as good.   I'll definitely go with a camera as opposed to a camcorder.

Announcements