cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electronic full-time MF not working on EOS R8

RogenerPavinski
Contributor

This option allows you to manually focus with RF lenses even when autofocus is active, but this option is not working on the R8, as it does on my other R6 and R10 cameras.
Anyone experiencing the same problem?

16 REPLIES 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you checked these settings as shown in this section and following pages from the manual?

Screenshot 1.jpg

Screenshot 2.jpg

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

What lens are you using?  Not all lenses are compatible with manual override.  For some Canon lenses with STM drive, the manual override is electronic.  This means the metering system needs to be active for the focus ring to be active.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

All RF lenses use electronic focus rings. But most EF lenses are usually mechanical focus. Some are electronic so it depends on what lens they're using.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

RogenerPavinski
Contributor

'll make everything clearer.
I must say, the problem I'm encountering only applies in video mode and with some lenses. Lenses that have a switcher between focus control and some custom adjustment, such as the RF16mm and RF50mm lenses, they work well, however, when I use lenses that have a dedicated focus ring, such as the RF35mm 1.8, the R8 does not respond.

I have the R6 and R10 and have tested the same menu settings on other cameras where manual focus works, except on the R8.

Another problem I identified was that the focus guide does not appear on the R8 even when active in the menu, unless manual focus is used. I don't have this problem with the R10 or R6

Is the focus mode set to Servo AF. If it is, the electronic focus ring will not work. It's been this way since the very first EF lens with electronic manual focus. 

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

No, the servo AF is off.

What focus mode is the camera set to? It also doesn't work in AI focus. It only works in one shot AF.

-Demetrius

@RogenerPavinski wrote:

'll make everything clearer.
I must say, the problem I'm encountering only applies in video mode and with some lenses. Lenses that have a switcher between focus control and some custom adjustment, such as the RF16mm and RF50mm lenses, they work well, however, when I use lenses that have a dedicated focus ring, such as the RF35mm 1.8, the R8 does not respond.

I have the R6 and R10 and have tested the same menu settings on other cameras where manual focus works, except on the R8.

Another problem I identified was that the focus guide does not appear on the R8 even when active in the menu, unless manual focus is used. I don't have this problem with the R10 or R6

“Custom Switcher”?   I’m not sure that I understand what you are saying there.  Nor the part about lenses with dedicated focus rings.  Every lens has a dedicated focus ring.

Just what exactly is your setup?  Tell us how someone can reproduce your issue,  What shooting mode?  AF Mode?  AF Point(s) selected?

What type of setup works?  What type of setup does not work?

Thanks, ahead of time.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I think what the OP is trying to say is that lenses that have a switch for focus & control (combined focus & control ring) Manual Focus Override works. Lenses with separate focus and control rings. Manual Focus Override does NOT work during video mode. But they should work the same as long as the switch is set to focus and NOT control.

-Demetrius

Announcements