cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R7 good for Arctic wildlife and airshows?

Tvgibson
Apprentice

I just booked my trip of a lifetime to go see polar bears in Churchill in November.  Was looking at the R7 and RF 100-400 lens.  I’m new to mirrorless cameras and definitely not a professional photographer.  Would also like to be able to shoot airshows.  Can I learn to use this by November? Is this a good combo to get? Any other must have starter lenses for “everyday” use? Thanks in advance….I appreciate the feedback from the knowledge I’ve seen in this community 

11 REPLIES 11

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Welcome to the forum:
Much depends on your budget, but for distance work that could function ok.  You will also need a lens with a shorter focal range, because you actually get up close and personal with those bears - not only will you be in a vehicle that the bears will come right up to, but they wander through the township.  For that, I would suggest the RF 24-105mm f/4-7.1 IS STM.

To make the most of your trip, definitely study up on Polar Bear behaviour.  There is some excellent material in the BBC series by David Attenborough on the Artic and some of that deals with Churchill specifically, but you will get a lot more from the experience you have context for bear behaviour - and there is also other wildlife too.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thank you so much….I really appreciate the information and suggestions 

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

You can easily become fairly accomplished by November. Your best bet is to go to your local zoo and airport.

Definitely agree that practising with the gear on live subjects will gain experience - what one needs to do is become so familiar with the controls that you don't have to really think about it - proprioceptive memory.  Having to stop, look at the camera and press or turn something could easily cost you some great shots.  Also, experiment with the settings and be prepared to learn from those who shoot wildlife about how they set their cameras up.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I was there a few years ago. Stayed at Lazy Bear Lodge. Like any wildlife the bears are hit and miss. They were either distant or coming up close to the tundra buggy. Never moving fast. Between now and November practice on grade school soccer games; more action there than you are likely to see in Churchill :-). 

Set camera to RAW. A lot of white on white, so consider setting camera to +1 exposure compensation. Tak a few test shots and see how they look. 

Airshows are the exact opposite. High speed action and the need to follow a rapidly moving object. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thank you for the info and advice.  That is exactly where we are staying…Lazy Bear Lodge.  Fingers crossed for bears close to the buggy 

Each of these were from the buggy.

Screenshot 2024-01-12 094347.jpgScreenshot 2024-01-12 095045.jpgScreenshot 2024-01-12 094047.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Danfaz
Enthusiast

Yes, the R7 with the RF 100-400 is a very compact and capable long range combo. As Tronhard mentioned, pair that with the RF 24-105mm f/4-7.1 IS STM, and you should be good!

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Wow John!

Love the photos.  👍

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements