cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 froze during recording, footage inaccessible

Leahbanko
Apprentice

Hey everyone, 

I was recording a multi-cam concert event last week in 4k, 23.97 fps, log footage. We had multiple cameras with specific start/stop record times, and we recorded for a long time before switching batteries, tripods, etc. Once when I was recording, the camera completely froze. I tried hitting the record buttons on both the screen and on top of the camera and the screen was still completely frozen. When I went into my library, I saw that the 22 minute recording hadn’t saved. 

As far as I know, the canon record limit is 30 minutes. Even though I was using a high record setting, the camera never gave me overheating warnings. The firmware is ver. 1.9.0. I’m concerned that this could happen again and cause very big issues!! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

2 REPLIES 2

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Difficult to say.  What specific media cards (brand, sustained write speed, etc.) were you using?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I suggest that you just set that camera up in your office and start making recordings to see if it happens again. You can set up a series of mirrors to record the back screen to see if any warning lights come on. 8^)

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements