cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 6D won't autofocus in live view quick focus

Swerky
Contributor

Hello. Having a problem with my 6D (1)

While in live view stills shooting and using the AF quick mode, focus points show up on screen and I can toggle between them, but the camera won’t autofocus in this mode. I half press the shutter or press the AF-ON button, I just hear the IS working, but no focus. No beep. It just takes the shot when I fully depress the shutter wherever the focus is.

Added to that no image gets written to the card in this case.

Autofocus works fine in other modes. That is in flexizone and live mode.

Any solution or there’s a camera problem? 
 Thank you. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

normadel
Authority
Authority

Read pages 197-198 of the 6D Instruction Manual very carefully, then read it again. There's a lot that goes on when using Quick Mode in Live View. You may not be allowing the process to happen and you may not actually be taking the picture.

I have a 6D and the section on using AF to Focus  (pages 192-198) is some of the most confusing stuff I've ever read. You are better off manually focusing in Live View.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

normadel
Authority
Authority

Read pages 197-198 of the 6D Instruction Manual very carefully, then read it again. There's a lot that goes on when using Quick Mode in Live View. You may not be allowing the process to happen and you may not actually be taking the picture.

I have a 6D and the section on using AF to Focus  (pages 192-198) is some of the most confusing stuff I've ever read. You are better off manually focusing in Live View.

I’ve read it and it’s straightforward. It’s just not working. Asked a friend to do the same thing on his 5D III and it worked. I have to say that I bought the camera used. Has a low shutter count but still can’t know how it was used. And it’s on latest firmware. 

Ooops! Now I realised. I thought that when the mirror goes down, this meant that the shot was taken. But it wasn’t. Needed to keep my finger on half press. Guess I didn’t read well enough indeed. Silly mistake. Thanks for the reply. 

normadel
Authority
Authority

You're welcome.  Now how about ACCEPTING my reply?

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements