cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 60P 4K-U video OK on camera, stutters and low framerate on PC

ParkerJames
Apprentice

Hello! So I just got my R5 and took about a minute and a half of 60P 4K-U video on a 256 GB SanDisk SD card. When I transfer the video file into my computer, when opened inside of the PC, the video is very low FPS and somewhat stutters. On the camera playback itself, it is extremely smooth and has no stuttering at all. Does this have to do with a specific program I open up the video file with or is it simply my camera settings that are the problem. Any help or advice would be amazing!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ParkerJames
Apprentice

Alright I solved it. For anyone who was having the same issue, the only thing that made the difference was a little free program called handbrake. All that needed to be done was to be converted into a H.264 instead of a H.265 file. Now it's a crispy 60p, 4k video. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

ParkerJames
Apprentice

Alright I solved it. For anyone who was having the same issue, the only thing that made the difference was a little free program called handbrake. All that needed to be done was to be converted into a H.264 instead of a H.265 file. Now it's a crispy 60p, 4k video. 

h.265 compresses the video files better at the cost of requiring beefier PC or GPU with hardware playback acceleration.  h.264 works because it's less efficient at compression but it also make it easier to play on older systems.

-jaewoo

Rebel XT, 7D, 5Dm3, 5DmIV (current), EOS R, EOS R5 (current)

You should be able to have the camera record in H.264 instead.  As noted earlier, H.265 requires newer hardware (i.e. hardware acceleration).  If such hardware doesn't exist, you computer will decode it via software which can be incredibly slow.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

It's great that you fixed this, and Handbrake may well be a great solution for you.

However the real issue is that movies from high-end cameras are not designed to be played on your desktop; they're supposed to be the source material for an editing process.  That's why double-clicking them to play may generaly not work.  Or maybe on your computer, but not on other peoples'.  See this thread: https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS-DSLR-Mirrorless-Cameras/Canon-R5-video-file-sizes-trouble-dow...

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements